The General Solution of the DE y''+y'=tan(t) ?

In summary, the person is struggling with finding the general solution to a differential equation involving a tangent function. They have tried using the Wronskian and characteristic polynomial, but ended up with an unsolvable integral. They are wondering if there is another way to solve it or if they should leave it as is.
Ahmad Obeid
Hello There, I hope I posted this in the right thread.
I've been struggling with solving this particular Differential Equation and just couldn't find any way to solve it completely..

1. Homework Statement

I am only required to find the general solution of the differential equation
y'' + y' = tan(t)

Homework Equations

Wronskian of two functions.
Characteristic Polynomial of a (homogeneous) Differential Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the solution to the associated DE y''+y'=0 which gave me y1=1 and y2=e-t
Thus the general solution is y= u1*y1 + u2*y2 where u1 and u2 are two functions of t to be determined.
Using the method of variation of parameters I ended up with u1 = -ln|cos(t)| + c1 (Note that the Wronskian of y1 & y2 is -e-t )
However I ended up with u2 = -∫et*tant dt which is obviously unsolvable..
You can find attached my work and attempts.
Is there anything wrong? or is there another way around? like just writing the integral as an infinite series?
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20160311063933.jpg
    20160311063933.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmad Obeid said:
Hello There, I hope I posted this in the right thread.
I've been struggling with solving this particular Differential Equation and just couldn't find any way to solve it completely..

1. Homework Statement

I am only required to find the general solution of the differential equation
y'' + y' = tan(t)

Homework Equations

Wronskian of two functions.
Characteristic Polynomial of a (homogeneous) Differential Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the solution to the associated DE y''+y'=0 which gave me y1=1 and y2=e-t
Thus the general solution is y= u1*y1 + u2*y2 where u1 and u2 are two functions of t to be determined.
Using the method of variation of parameters I ended up with u1 = -ln|cos(t)| + c1 (Note that the Wronskian of y1 & y2 is -e-t )
However I ended up with u2 = -∫et*tant dt which is obviously unsolvable..
You can find attached my work and attempts.
Is there anything wrong? or is there another way around? like just writing the integral as an infinite series?
Thank you for your help!

Lots of problems have solutions that cannot be written in "closed form"; perhaps this is one of them. What I mean is that you can invent a new function ##\Lambda(t) = \int_0^t \tan(s) e^s \, ds## and can then express your answer in terms of ##\Lambda(\cdot)##.

Likes Ahmad Obeid
Oh so I just leave it as is? Thought there was some extra step I should make...
If only that y' was a y life would've been much easier haha
Thank you for your help !

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model various phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the general solution of a differential equation?

The general solution of a differential equation is a family of solutions that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation.

4. What is the meaning of the "y''+y'=tan(t)" in the differential equation?

The "y''+y'=tan(t)" represents the differential equation itself, where y represents the dependent variable and t represents the independent variable. The equation is saying that the second derivative of y plus the first derivative of y is equal to the tangent of t.

5. Can you provide an example of a physical phenomenon that can be modeled using this differential equation?

This differential equation can model the motion of a simple pendulum, where y represents the angle of the pendulum and t represents time. The equation relates the acceleration and velocity of the pendulum to the angle, which is affected by the gravitational force and the length of the pendulum.