Find Shear Centre of Cross Sections

• Thread starter womanengineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross Shear
In summary, the shear centre of a cross section is a point that allows for the application of shear force without causing twisting or bending in the structure. It is important to determine the shear centre in order to design structures that can withstand different loads. The shear centre is calculated using mathematical equations based on the geometry and material properties of the structure. It can be located outside the physical boundaries of the structure, but it must fall within the overall dimensions. The location of the shear centre greatly affects the stability of the structure, as an improperly located or outside shear centre can lead to instability and failure.
womanengineer
Please Help.
Trying my best

Homework Statement

Locate the Shear Center of the Cross Sections Below:

1. http://tinypic.com/r/98xfd3/5
2. http://tinypic.com/r/15s4hfk/5

Homework Equations

τ=VQ/IT

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment = O
Solve for Ve

τ=VQ/IT
Solve for τ

For each section
V=∫τtdy

Find I
I=2(I1) + 2(I2) + 2(I3) I4
solve for I
solve for e

Do not know how to start 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the circular part, consider a radius angle theta with the horizontal. Then consider an elemental length of the circumference delta s subtending an angle delta theta at the centre.

1. What is the shear centre of a cross section?

The shear centre of a cross section is a point through which the shear force can be applied without inducing any twisting or bending in the structure. It is an important concept in structural engineering as it helps determine the load distribution and strength of a structure.

2. Why is it important to find the shear centre of a cross section?

Knowing the shear centre of a cross section is important because it helps in designing structures that can withstand different types of loads. By determining the shear centre, engineers can ensure that the structure can handle shear forces without experiencing any significant deformations or failure.

3. How is the shear centre of a cross section calculated?

The shear centre of a cross section is typically calculated using mathematical equations based on the geometry and material properties of the structure. This involves determining the centroid, moment of inertia, and the shear modulus of the cross section, and then applying the equations to find the shear centre.

4. Can the shear centre of a cross section be located outside the physical boundaries of the structure?

Yes, the shear centre of a cross section can be located outside the physical boundaries of the structure. This is commonly seen in asymmetrical cross sections where the shear centre may not be located at the centroid. However, it is important to ensure that the shear centre falls within the overall dimensions of the structure.

5. How does the shear centre affect the stability of a structure?

The shear centre plays a crucial role in the stability of a structure. If the shear centre is not properly located or if it falls outside the physical boundaries, it can result in uneven load distribution and cause instability in the structure. This can lead to excessive deflections, buckling, or even failure of the structure.