Find tension in angled cables holding steel plate

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the tension in a cable by using the given geometry and equations and was not able to get the answer.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

I found that the steel plate weighs 23.1 kN from using the volume and density of steel. The length of L1=3.2m, L2= 3.9m. The angle on the left, theta, equals 94.4 degrees and alpha equals 54.9 degrees. I am just confused on how to find the tension in the cables. If someone could point me in the right direction. I have to find stress and bearing stress but I can easily do that, the tensions are just confusing to me

Here is a diagram:
0124001743.jpg

Homework Equations

F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the weight of the steel plate from the volume and density of steel (in statement). I am sure this is simple, but the 94.4 degrees is what's weird to me since I'm use to dealing with right triangles...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi megr. The tension in the cable can be broken down into a verticle and horizontal component. Just sum the forces in the verticle direction and horizontal direction as you would for any static equilibrium problem and you should be able to deduce the tension in the cables.

I know that part, but how? the angle on the left is 94.4 degrees and doesn't form a right triangle. I can't just use T_1*cos(94.4) since that won't work. I am so frustrated with the problem and how to find any of the components for just one cable

cos(94.4/2) = Fy/T
where Fy = verticle componenet of force
T = Tension in cable.

megr_ftw: Hint: Use the given geometry, including the dimensions given on the plate, to figure out beta1 or beta2. In other words, initially, it is a slightly involved geometry problem, but can be figured out using the given geometry and dimensions, using trigonometry. We are not allowed to give you the relevant equations nor work out the trigonometry for you. If you show your work, we could check your math.

Related to Find tension in angled cables holding steel plate

What is tension and why is it important in angled cables holding steel plate?

Tension is the force that is pulling on the cables, keeping them taut and in place. In angled cables holding steel plate, tension is important because it helps to distribute the weight of the steel plate and keep it stable.

How do you calculate the tension in angled cables holding steel plate?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = W / sinθ, where T is the tension force, W is the weight of the steel plate, and θ is the angle of the cables.

What factors can affect the tension in angled cables holding steel plate?

The tension in angled cables holding steel plate can be affected by the weight of the steel plate, the angle of the cables, the strength and elasticity of the cables, and external forces such as wind or movement of the steel plate.

How can you ensure that the tension in angled cables holding steel plate is within a safe range?

To ensure that the tension in angled cables holding steel plate is within a safe range, it is important to carefully calculate the tension using the formula mentioned above and to use cables with appropriate strength and elasticity. Regular inspections and maintenance of the cables can also help to identify and address any potential issues.

What are some common methods for adjusting the tension in angled cables holding steel plate?

The tension in angled cables holding steel plate can be adjusted by changing the angle of the cables, adding or removing weights from the steel plate, or replacing the cables with ones that have different strength or elasticity. Professional engineers should be consulted before making any adjustments to ensure safety and effectiveness.