Find the acceleration of the wedge (see picture)

In summary: M)cos(\theta)##In summary, the given arrangement consists of a bar with mass m and a wedge with mass M and an angle of α. The thread and pulley have negligible masses and there is no friction. The acceleration of the wedge M is to be found by using three net-force equations and two constraints (the fact that m stays in contact with M and the constant length of the string). After solving, the correct answer is found to be ##a=\frac{mg\sin\alpha}{M+2m(1-\cos\alpha)}##. Alternatively, conservation of energy can also be used to find the acceleration of the wedge.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

In the arrangement shown in fig 1.24, the masses of the bar, m, and of the wedge, M, and also the wedge angle, ##\alpha##, are known. The masses of the thread and pulley are negligible, and friction is absent. Find the acceleration of the wedge M.
irodov1.82.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the positive x direction be towards the wall, and the positive y direction be the direction of gravity.

Let ##a_x## and ##a_y## be the respective components of mass m, and let ##a## be the magnitude of the acceleration of M. (Note: we expect ax to be negative.)

We can write three net-force-equations for the three accelerations:
##ma_y=mg-F_N\cos\alpha##
##ma_x=T\cos\alpha-F_N\sin\alpha##
##Ma=T(1-\cos\alpha)+F_N\sin\alpha##

Of course this introduces two more unknowns (the normal force FN between m and M, and the tension T in the thread).
So we need two more equations for the problem to be solved.

Conceptually, the two constraints that lead to these two equations are that m stays in contact with M, and that the length of the string is constant.

We can describe the fact that m stays in contact with M with the following equation:
##\frac{a_y}{a-a_x}=\tan\alpha##

Now about the constraint that the string length is constant... Well we can see the distance M moves towards the wall must be the distance m moves down the wedge. If we let ##\hat u## be the unit vector in the direction down the wedge's slope, and ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## be the unit vectors for the x and y directions respectively, then we can write this constraint as follows:
##a=(a_x\hat x+a_y\hat y)\cdot \hat u = a_x \hat x \cdot \hat u + a_y \hat y \cdot \hat u= a_y\sin\alpha-a_x\cos\alpha##So now we have five equations and five unknowns:
##ma_y=mg-F_N\cos\alpha##
##ma_x=T\cos\alpha-F_N\sin\alpha##
##Ma=T(1-\cos\alpha)+F_N\sin\alpha##
##\frac{a_y}{a-a_x}=\tan\alpha##
##a= a_y\sin\alpha-a_x\cos\alpha##

But upon solving I don't get the correct answer. I thought I was careful with the algebra.
Can anyone find any mistakes in these equations? (Particularly in the last two.) I can try to explain how I got any of them if requested.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your ay equation, what about the tension?

haruspex said:
In your ay equation, what about the tension?
Of course o:) I'll give it another shot now.

My answer: ##a=\frac{mg\sin\alpha}{M+2m-m\cos\alpha(1+\cos\alpha)}##

The correct answer: ##a=\frac{mg\sin\alpha}{M+2m(1-\cos\alpha)}##

It hurts to be so close :frown:
I just want to know if my equations are wrong or if I'm making a careless mistake somewhere (5 equations takes a lot of algebra!).

edit:
and yes I fixed the ay equation properly:
##ma_y=mg-F_N\cos\alpha-T\sin\alpha##

Not sure about the equation you derived from the string length constancy. For the downslope acceleration, shouldn't you be using the acceleration relative to the wedge, so a-ax rather than -ax?
[Sanity check: if alpha is zero then ax is zero.]

Likes Nathanael
You are correct, thank you for resolving this. Luckily that was the last equation I eliminated so I can check at once that it is now correct.

My thinking was that the radial component of the motion of m (w.r.t. the point where the thread bends) would be along the direction of the wedge's slope. What I failed to consider is that the radial component of m's acceleration would appear different in a frame where the origin (the pulley) is not accelerating.

Thanks again, Haruspex.

Nathanael said:
You are correct, thank you for resolving this. Luckily that was the last equation I eliminated so I can check at once that it is now correct.

My thinking was that the radial component of the motion of m (w.r.t. the point where the thread bends) would be along the direction of the wedge's slope. What I failed to consider is that the radial component of m's acceleration would appear different in a frame where the origin (the pulley) is not accelerating.

Thanks again, Haruspex.
You're welcome. I do recommend that you develop the habit of doing extreme case sanity checks on equations.

Likes Nathanael
Nathanael said:
My answer: ##a=\frac{mg\sin\alpha}{M+2m-m\cos\alpha(1+\cos\alpha)}##

The correct answer: ##a=\frac{mg\sin\alpha}{M+2m(1-\cos\alpha)}##
Try to use conservation of energy. You get the result much easier.

Likes Nathanael
ehild said:
Try to use conservation of energy. You get the result much easier.
Ah right.
##mga_y(0.5dt^2)=0.5M(adt)^2+0.5m(a_x^2+a_y^2)dt^2##
In general, though, this method can only be used to find the initial acceleration, right?
In this problem of course the accelerations are constant so the initial acceleration is always the acceleration.

Nathanael said:
Ah right.
##mga_y(0.5dt^2)=0.5M(adt)^2+0.5m(a_x^2+a_y^2)dt^2##
In general, though, this method can only be used to find the initial acceleration, right?
In this problem of course the accelerations are constant so the initial acceleration is always the acceleration.
You can express both the KE and PE of the system at any time. PE+KE= const. Differentiating with respect to time and using the constraint equation, you get the acceleration of the wedge.
ds/dt is the speed of the block downward along the slope, with respect to the slope. Because of the constraint, the velocity of the wedge is V=dX/dt=ds/dt.
The components of velocity of the block in the rest frame of reference are ##v_x= V-\dot s \cos(\theta)=V(1-\cos(\theta))## and ##v_y=\dot s \sin(\theta)=V\sin(\theta)##

##KE+PE=0.5\left(mV^2(1-\cos(\theta))^2+V^2\sin^2(\theta)+MV^2\right)-mgs\sin(theta) =const##
Simplify, take the derivative with respect to time, replace ##\dot s = V ##, divide the whole equation by V. Isolate ##\dot V##.

Likes Nathanael
ehild said:
You can express both the KE and PE of the system at any time. PE+KE= const. Differentiating with respect to time and using the constraint equation, you get the acceleration of the wedge.
ds/dt is the speed of the block downward along the slope, with respect to the slope. Because of the constraint, the velocity of the wedge is V=dX/dt=ds/dt.
The components of velocity of the block in the rest frame of reference are ##v_x= V-\dot s \cos(\theta)=V(1-\cos(\theta))## and ##v_y=\dot s \sin(\theta)=V\sin(\theta)##

##KE+PE=0.5\left(mV^2(1-\cos(\theta))^2+V^2\sin^2(\theta)+MV^2\right)-mgs\sin(theta) =const##
Simplify, take the derivative with respect to time, replace ##\dot s = V ##, divide the whole equation by V. Isolate ##\dot V##.
Ahh, I see.

The energy expression simplifies to ##0.5V^2(2m(1-\cos\alpha)+M)-mgs\sin\alpha=\text{constant}##
Differentiating and dividing out the factor of V gives ##\dot V(2m(1-\cos\alpha)+M)-mg\sin\alpha=0## which gives ##\dot V##

That is indeed a much easier method, nice! Thanks, Ehild.

Related to Find the acceleration of the wedge (see picture)

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is a wedge?

A wedge is a simple machine that is often used to split or lift objects. It is typically made of two inclined planes joined together at an angle.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How does the wedge affect acceleration?

The wedge itself does not affect acceleration. It is the forces acting on the wedge, such as gravity and friction, that can impact the acceleration of the wedge.

How can you find the acceleration of the wedge in the given picture?

To find the acceleration of the wedge, you would need to know the forces acting on it and use Newton's second law of motion (F = ma) to calculate the acceleration. However, without more information about the specific situation in the picture, it is not possible to determine the acceleration.