Find the altitude and the speed of two jets with Doppler Effect

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics problem involving fighter jets flying at supersonic speeds. They mention not being able to start the problem and ask for assistance. The problem involves finding the speeds and altitude of the jets, and the relevant equation is f0=(c±v0)/(c-+vs). The person also mentions using a diagram and assigning variables to distances. The relevance of the Doppler effect is questioned.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
At an air show, I see two fighter jets fly overhead one after
another at supersonic speeds. However, I hear just one sonic
boom 1.086 seconds after the second one flies past, which
in turn happened 1.262 seconds after the first jet passed by.
I hear an announcement from the air show organizers that
the first jet is flying at 4/3 the speed of the second. Find their
speeds and the altitude at which they are flying.
Relevant Equations
f0=(c±v0)/(c-+vs)
Being honest, I couldn't do any works for this problem... (even couldn't start...)
Does anyone can help me for solving this...?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Edel Crine said:
Homework Statement:: At an air show, I see two fighter jets fly overhead one after
another at supersonic speeds. However, I hear just one sonic
boom 1.086 seconds after the second one flies past, which
in turn happened 1.262 seconds after the first jet passed by.
I hear an announcement from the air show organizers that
the first jet is flying at 4/3 the speed of the second. Find their
speeds and the altitude at which they are flying.
Relevant Equations:: f0=(c±v0)/(c-+vs)

Being honest, I couldn't do any works for this problem... (even couldn't start...)
Does anyone can help me for solving this...?
Thank you!
Draw a diagram of where everything is when you hear the boom. Assign variables to the distances and post the diagram with whatever equations you can write.

What makes you think Doppler is relevant?

1. How does the Doppler Effect help in finding the altitude and speed of jets?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave changes when the source of the wave is moving. In the case of jets, the sound waves they produce are affected by their motion, allowing us to calculate their speed and altitude.

2. What equipment is needed to measure the Doppler Effect of jets?

To measure the Doppler Effect of jets, you will need a radar system or a specialized instrument called a Doppler radar. This instrument emits radio waves that bounce off the jets and measure the frequency shift caused by their motion.

3. Can the Doppler Effect be used to determine the direction of the jets?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can also be used to determine the direction of the jets. The frequency shift of the sound waves depends on whether the jets are moving towards or away from the observer, allowing us to determine their direction.

4. How accurate is the Doppler Effect in determining the speed and altitude of jets?

The Doppler Effect is a highly accurate method of determining the speed and altitude of jets. The accuracy depends on the precision of the equipment used and the expertise of the operator, but it can provide measurements with an error margin of just a few meters per second or a few hundred meters in altitude.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Doppler Effect to find the altitude and speed of jets?

While the Doppler Effect is a reliable method, there are some limitations to its use. For example, it may be affected by weather conditions or other sources of noise that can interfere with the measurements. Additionally, it may not be suitable for determining the altitude and speed of jets at very low altitudes or in certain types of terrain.