Find the arc length parametrization of a curve

In summary, the arc length parametrization of the given curve is s(t) = 3t + (3/2)t^2 and it is not possible to solve for t in terms of s in this case.
AramN

Homework Statement

Find the arc length parametrization of the curve r = (3t cost, 3tsint, 2sqrt(2)t^(3/2) ) .

Homework Equations

s(t)=integral of |r'(t)| dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the integral of the magnitude of the velocity vector to simplify to:
s(t) = integral of sqrt(9(1+t)^2) dt
evaluating the integral, s(t) = 3t+(3/2)t^2
In other problems similar to this one I would solve for t in terms of s then put it back into the original equation, but for this one I was unable to solve for t in terms of s.

Physics news on Phys.org
AramN said:

Homework Statement

Find the arc length parametrization of the curve r = (3t cost, 3tsint, 2sqrt(2)t^(3/2) ) .

Homework Equations

s(t)=integral of |r'(t)| dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the integral of the magnitude of the velocity vector to simplify to:
s(t) = integral of sqrt(9(1+t)^2) dt
evaluating the integral, s(t) = 3t+(3/2)t^2
In other problems similar to this one I would solve for t in terms of s then put it back into the original equation, but for this one I was unable to solve for t in terms of s.

I don't see the problem in solving for t. It's just a quadratic equation.

1. What is arc length parametrization?

Arc length parametrization is a way of representing a curve in terms of its length along the curve. This allows for more precise measurements and calculations, as well as easier comparison between different curves.

2. Why is it important to find the arc length parametrization of a curve?

Finding the arc length parametrization of a curve is important because it allows for accurate measurements and calculations of the curve's properties, such as curvature and length. It also makes it easier to compare different curves and analyze their similarities and differences.

3. How is the arc length parametrization of a curve calculated?

The arc length parametrization of a curve can be calculated by integrating the square root of the sum of the squared derivatives of the curve's parametric equations. This integral represents the total distance traveled along the curve, which is then used to create a new parametric equation with respect to the arc length.

4. Can any curve be represented using arc length parametrization?

Yes, any curve can be represented using arc length parametrization. However, in some cases, it may be more difficult to find the arc length parametrization, especially for more complex curves. In such cases, approximate methods may be used to find an approximate arc length parametrization.

5. What are some applications of arc length parametrization?

Arc length parametrization has various applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate the length of curves, determine the smoothness of curves, and create more realistic and visually appealing computer-generated images of curves and surfaces.