Find the area of this larger circle

In summary: I think the answer is that ##R = 2*sqrt(2+sqrt(2))##yes, it's very clear now. thanks!In summary, my colleagues and I can't figure out how to come to that answer. It's probably something simple.
grandpa2390
Homework Statement
I'm helping to run a math competition at my school and we pulled a problem from this site that we are having trouble solving.

Eight circles of radius 1 have centers on a larger common circle and adjacent circles are tangent. Find the area of the common circle. See the illustration below.
Relevant Equations
Not sure. It has been a long time since I've done this kind of math.
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.12.45 PM.png

if it helps, the answer is supposed to be
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.22.04 PM.png

my colleagues and I can't figure out how to come to that answer. It's probably something simple.

edit: I tried to solve it by inscribing an octagon, and then finding the distance from the center of the octagon to the side of the octagon. but I got 1 + sqrt(2) as the radius... rather than the 2*sqrt(2+sqrt(2))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:
if it helps, the answer is supposed to be
The ##\pi## shouldn't be in there -- as you later seem to know...

1569967509655.png

##\theta = \pi/8\quad\& \quad R = 1/\sin\theta ## so: Area = ##\pi \over \sin^2\theta##

##\cos 2\theta =
\cos^2 {\theta} - \sin^2 {\theta}=1- 2\sin^2 {\theta} \quad \Rightarrow \sin^2 {\theta} = {1 - \cos2\theta\over 2}## and with ##\cos {\pi\over 4}= {1\over 2}\sqrt 2## we get ##{1/ \sin^2 {\pi\over 8}} = {\displaystyle {4\over 2-\sqrt 2}} = 2(2+\sqrt 2)##

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
BvU said:

View attachment 250517
##\theta = \pi/8\quad\& \quad R = 1/\sin\theta ##

##cos 2\theta =
\cos^2 {\theta} - \sin^2 {\theta}=1- 2\sin^2 {\theta} \quad \Rightarrow \sin {\theta} = {1 - \cos2\theta\over 2}## and with ##\cos {\pi\over 8}= {1\over 2}\sqrt 2## we get ##{1/ \sin {\pi\over 8}} = {\displaystyle {4\over 2-\sqrt 2}} = 2(2+\sqrt 2)##

why shouldn't the pi be there? Area = pi*r^2

Oh sorry, fixed on determining R

Have to edit my ##\TeX## some more, patience ...

Likes grandpa2390
BvU said:
Oh sorry, fixed on determining R

Have to edit my ##\TeX## some more, patience ...
that's ok. I solved it with sin(22.5) = 1/h. for some reason I didn't get it earlier. but now it's working out.

no way I could have gotten it in the form you got it though. the form the solution wants.

edit: I see my mistake. I thought the radius would be 2*sqrt(2+sqrt(2)), but it is sqrt(2*(2+sqrt(2))

Post #2 fixed now, I hope...

Half-angle formula clear ?

Likes grandpa2390
BvU said:
Post #2 fixed now, I hope...

Half-angle formula clear ?
you helped me see my error. I miscalculated what the radius was supposed to be.
I also inscribed my octagon improperly. I should have been looking for the distance to an angle rather than the distance to a side.
thanks!

Likes BvU
BvU said:

View attachment 250517
##\theta = \pi/8\quad\& \quad R = 1/\sin\theta ## so: Area = ##\pi \over \sin^2\theta##

##\cos 2\theta =
\cos^2 {\theta} - \sin^2 {\theta}=1- 2\sin^2 {\theta} \quad \Rightarrow \sin^2 {\theta} = {1 - \cos2\theta\over 2}## and with ##\cos {\pi\over 4}= {1\over 2}\sqrt 2## we get ##{1/ \sin^2 {\pi\over 8}} = {\displaystyle {4\over 2-\sqrt 2}} = 2(2+\sqrt 2)##
I can't see how ##R## is the radius of the big circle, it looks like just a portion of it, could you explain more please?

##R## is what the sketch starts out with. Its relation to the radius of the small circles is the object of the analysis. Is it clear to you where the ##\pi/8## comes from ?

BvU said:
##R## is what the sketch starts out with. Its relation to the radius of the small circles is the object of the analysis. Is it clear to you where the ##\pi/8## comes from ?
My bad, for some reason, it wasn't clear to me in your picture that the intersection point was the center of the common circle.

Related to Find the area of this larger circle

1. How do you find the area of a larger circle?

To find the area of a larger circle, you can use the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. First, measure the radius of the circle using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, plug the value of the radius into the formula and solve for the area.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a larger circle?

The formula for finding the area of a larger circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived from the mathematical constant pi (π) and the relationship between a circle's radius and its area.

3. Can you use the same formula to find the area of any circle?

Yes, the formula A = πr² can be used to find the area of any circle, regardless of its size. It is a universal formula that applies to all circles, including larger ones.

4. What units are used to measure the area of a larger circle?

The area of a larger circle is typically measured in square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters. This is because area is a measure of 2-dimensional space, so it is represented by a unit squared.

5. How can finding the area of a larger circle be useful?

Finding the area of a larger circle can be useful in many real-world applications. For example, if you are a builder or landscaper, you may need to know the area of a larger circle to determine how much material is needed. In geometry and engineering, the area of a larger circle can also be used to solve various problems and design structures.