Find the area S of the region

• Thread starter Princeofdark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, to find the area of the region enclosed by the given curves, you will need to determine the intersection points of the two graphs. Then, you can integrate with respect to either x or y, depending on which integral looks easier. You can also draw a typical approximating rectangle to help visualize the problem. Make sure to label the height and width of the rectangle.
Princeofdark
Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Draw a typical approximating rectangle and label its height and width.

http://www.webassign.net/www28/symImages/2/b/4def6fad2db11c7dd01c3a136b1fba.gif

Then find the area S of the region.

1. How do i know whether to integrate with respect to x or y?

2. is 2/x the same thing as x^-2 ?? (if not how do i rewrite it) ?

help.

i graphed it and didn't know what to do with the x = 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
x=7 is going to be a vertical line, all points of the form (7,y).

You can integrate with respect to either x or y, try writing both integrals out and see which one looks easier

[tex] \frac{2}{x} =/= x^{-2}[/tex] I don't know why you would think that... [tex]\frac{2}{x} = 2* \frac{1}{x}[/tex] If you're unsure of how fractions and exponentials work this is going to be a difficult problem to solve

I would start by determining where the two graphs intersect. Where is
[tex]y= \frac{2}{x}= \frac{2}{x^2}[/tex]?

Now, if y is a number between those two y values, for what x values is y= 1/x or y= 1/x2?
If x is number between the two x-values of the intersection points, what are y= 1/x and y= 1/x2?

Which of those is easier to integrate?

i set the = and i think i got (0,1) is that right?

and I am not following the second part, sorry.

Princeofdark said:
i set the = and i think i got (0,1) is that right?

and I am not following the second part, sorry.
No, that's not right. How did you do it? Did you put x= 0 and x= 1 back into the equation to check?

What is the formula for finding the area of a region?

The formula for finding the area of a region varies depending on the shape of the region. Some common formulas include:

• Rectangle: A = length x width
  • Triangle: A = 1/2 x base x height
  • Circle: A = π x radius^2

How do I determine the units of measurement for the area?

The units of measurement for the area will depend on the units used for the measurements of the region. For example, if the length and width of a rectangle are measured in feet, the area will be in square feet. It is important to keep the units consistent when calculating area.

What should I do if the region has irregular shape?

If the region has an irregular shape, it may not be possible to use a simple formula to find the area. In this case, you may need to break the region into smaller, more manageable shapes and use the appropriate formula for each shape. Alternatively, you can use a more advanced mathematical concept, such as integration, to calculate the area.

Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of a right triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle. To find the area of a right triangle, you would use the formula A = 1/2 x base x height or A = 1/2 x base x altitude.

What are some real-world applications of finding the area of a region?

Finding the area of a region has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and land surveying. For example, architects use area calculations to determine the amount of materials needed for a building, engineers use it to design structures, and land surveyors use it to measure land for construction or property boundaries.