Find the constants for given IVP

In summary, the conversation is discussing the solution to a differential equation. The correct solution involves using the product rule to differentiate correctly, resulting in the equation y = C1e^-4x cos(x) + C2e^-4x sin(x). The conversation also mentions using the initial conditions y(0) and y'(0) to solve for the constants C1 and C2. The conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and thanking others for the help.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

DifEqs

The Attempt at a Solution

y ' = 4C1e-4xSinX - 4C2e-4xCosX

y'(0) = -1

-1 = 0 - 4C2

Therefore

C2 = 1/4

Not correct. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't differentiate correctly. You have to use the product rule.

Likes Feodalherren
Sigh... obviously. Can't believe I just did that. Thanks!

Feodalherren said:
What am I doing wrong?
  1. [itex] y=c_{1}e^{-4x}cos(x)+c_{2}e^{-4x}sin(x)[/itex]
  2. [itex]y'=c_{1}(-4e^{-4x}cos(x)-e^{-4x}sin(x))+c_{2}(-4e^{-4x}sin(x)+e^{-4x}cos(x)) [/itex]
Now insert for y(0) and y'(0) and solve.

Likes Feodalherren
Personally, I would find it easier to write the solution as [itex]y= e^{-4x}(C_1 cos(x)+ C_2 sin(x))[/itex].

Then, by the product rule, [itex]y'= -4e^{-4x}(C_1 cos(x)+ C_2 sin(x))+ e^{-4x}(-C_1 sin(x)+ C_2 cos(x))[/itex].

Likes Feodalherren
Yeah I got it dudes. I was just being stupid and completely forgot the product rule.

Thanks

What is an IVP?

An IVP, or initial value problem, is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and initial conditions. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

Why is it important to find the constants for a given IVP?

Finding the constants for a given IVP allows us to determine the specific solution to the problem and make accurate predictions about the behavior of the system being modeled. It also helps us to better understand the underlying principles and relationships involved.

How do you find the constants for a given IVP?

The process of finding the constants for a given IVP involves solving the differential equation using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or integration. The initial conditions are then used to determine the values of the constants in the solution.

What assumptions are typically made when solving a given IVP?

When solving a given IVP, it is often assumed that the system being modeled is continuous and differentiable, and that the initial conditions are well-defined and within the applicable domain of the solution. Additionally, certain physical or mathematical constraints may also be assumed based on the specific problem at hand.

Can you provide an example of finding the constants for a given IVP?

Sure, let's say we have the differential equation dy/dx = 2x + 1 and the initial condition y(0) = 3. By solving the equation and plugging in the initial condition, we can find that the solution is y = x^2 + x + 3. In this case, the constant term is 3, which is determined by the initial condition.