Find the contraction of angles seen by an observer

In summary: I don't know what that means.You know ##|AD|##, ##|BD|## and ##|CD'|##. You know that ##|CD| = |CD'|/\gamma##. So, you calculate ##\alpha## and ##\beta## from that using basic trig.Or, get ##\tan \alpha## in terms of ##\tan \alpha'##...
You are getting very close. But you are making some careless errors regarding which length is the contracted length and the definition of gamma.

quittingthecult said:
I also know that C'D = ϒCD, which is the contracted length is equal to the uncontracted length times gamma.
I know that gamma is equal to √(¾) is is √(3)/2 for this problem.
The relation C'D = ϒCD is correct. But C'D is the uncontracted length and CD is the contracted length.

Gamma is not equal to ##\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##. Gamma is ##\large \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##

Please try again.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
TSny said:
You are getting very close. But you are making some careless errors regarding which length is the contracted length and the definition of gamma.The relation C'D = ϒCD is correct. But C'D is the uncontracted length and CD is the contracted length.

Gamma is not equal to ##\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##. Gamma is ##\large \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##

Please try again.
So it should be this? Which I then just repeat to β and then sum the two and subtract from 180?

IMG_8283.JPG

Looks good.

Thank you all for your help. My apologies if I made it more difficult that necessary.