Find the cubic equation given the roots

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding the cubic equation ##x^3-3x^2+4=0##, with one method being to let ##u=2x## and simplifying the equation to ##u^3-6u^2+32=0##. The conversation also mentions replacing x with x/a and the potential confusion with using x as a variable. Finally, the conversation mentions finding the cubic equation given roots ##∝-2, β-2##, and ##γ-2## by setting ##u=x-2## and solving for the new equation.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The cubic equation ##x^3-3x^2+4=0## has roots ##∝, β## and ##ϒ##. Find the cubic equation with roots ##2∝, 2β## and ##2ϒ##.
Relevant Equations
cubic equations with related roots
##\sum ∝=3##
##\sum ∝β=0##
##∝βγ=-4##
##\sum2 ∝=6##
##\sum 2∝.2β##=4##\sum ∝β=0##
##2∝.2β.2γ=-32##
we then end up with
##x^3-6x^2+0x+32=0##
##x^3-6x^2+32=0##

i am looking for alternative methods ...

Physics news on Phys.org
the next part of the question is to find the cubic equation (for the same original problem) given the roots, ##∝-2, β-2## and ##γ-2##, i will attempt this later...once i look at other alternative methods...

You could also just let ##u=2x##, and simplify.

Likes jbriggs444 and Delta2
What would happen to the roots if you replaced every x with x/a?

etotheipi said:
You could also just let ##u=2x##, and simplify.
not getting it...

chwala said:
not getting it...

##u=2x→ \frac {u}{2}=x##
##→\frac {u^2}{4}=x^2##
##→\frac {u^3}{8}=x^3##
substituting in the original equation gives;
##\frac {u^3}{8}-3\frac {u^2}{4}+4=0##
##u^3-6u^2+32=0## i still do not seem to get it...

chwala said:
##u^3-6u^2+32=0## i still do not seem to get it...

That's the equation you want, no?

etotheipi said:
That's the equation you want, no?

i thought the equation ought to be expressed in terms of ##x##...a bit confusing here

For a bit more context, you start with$$x^3 -3x^2 + 4 = 0$$suppose this is solved by ##x \in \{\xi_i\}##. Now, transform the equation with ##u = 2x##,$$\left(\frac{u}{2}\right)^3 -3\left(\frac{u}{2}\right)^2 + 4 = 0$$hopefully this makes it easier to see that ##u \in \{2\xi_i\}## will solve this new equation. You can rearrange this equation to get$$u^3 - 6u^2 + 32 = 0$$This is not the same equation you started with, it is a different equation with different solutions [which are double that of the previous equation]. But, you can just replace ##u## with ##x##, if you want to write the polynomial in terms of that symbol instead. Part of your confusion might be, that '##x##' is often overloaded.

• Love
Likes Delta2 and chwala
etotheipi said:
For a bit more context, you start with$$x^3 -3x^2 + 4 = 0$$suppose this is solved by ##x \in \{\xi_i\}##. Now, transform the equation with ##u = 2x##,$$\left(\frac{u}{2}\right)^3 -3\left(\frac{u}{2}\right)^2 + 4 = 0$$hopefully this makes it easier to see that ##u \in \{2\xi_i\}## will solve this new equation. You can rearrange this equation to get$$u^3 - 6u^2 + 32 = 0$$This is not the same equation you started with, it is a different equation with different solutions [which are double that of the previous equation]. But, you can just replace ##u## with ##x##, if you want to write the polynomial in terms of that symbol instead. Part of your confusion might be, that '##x##' is often overloaded.

i see...

chwala said:
the next part of the question is to find the cubic equation (for the same original problem) given the roots, ##∝-2, β-2## and ##γ-2##, i will attempt this later...once i look at other alternative methods...
For this you set ##u=x-2## and proceed in a similar way as before. it will involve a bit more algebraic processing to find the final equation ##f(u)=0##.

Likes etotheipi and chwala

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest power of x is 3.

2. What are the roots of a cubic equation?

The roots of a cubic equation are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0. A cubic equation can have up to three distinct roots, depending on the values of the coefficients a, b, c, and d.

3. How do you find the roots of a cubic equation?

To find the roots of a cubic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or a method called "factoring by grouping". You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to solve the equation numerically.

4. How do you find the cubic equation given the roots?

To find the cubic equation given the roots, you can use the fact that if a, b, and c are the roots of a cubic equation, then the equation can be written as (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) = 0. You can then expand this expression to get the cubic equation in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0.

5. Can a cubic equation have complex roots?

Yes, a cubic equation can have complex roots. This means that the roots are not real numbers, but involve the imaginary unit i. Complex roots always occur in pairs, so a cubic equation can have either 1 real root and 2 complex roots, or 3 complex roots.