Taylor Polynomials question

In summary: You're right that you'll need to take derivatives and set them to zero, but you're working with the wrong function.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Taylor polynomial and remainder for the function f(x) = 4 + 5x - 6x^2 + 11x^3 - 19x^4 + x^5, as well as finding the maximum value of the third derivative of the function on the interval |x| < 0.1. The group also discusses the process for finding a maximum value and the importance of considering endpoints when there are no local maxima within the interval.
stunner5000pt
Homework Statement
[tex] f(x) = 4 + 5x - 6x^2 + 11x^3 - 19x^4 + x^5 [/tex]
a. Find Taylor polynomial at x = 0, order 2
b. find the remainder
[tex] R_{2} (x) = f(x) - T_{2} (x) [/tex]
c. Find the maximum values of [tex] f^{(3)} (x) [/tex] on the interval |x| < 0.1
Relevant Equations
Taylor polynomial formula

question a almost seems too easy as I end up 'removing' the x^4 and x^5 terms
a.
[tex] T_{2} (x) = 4 + 5x - 6x^2 [/tex]

b.
[tex] = R_{2} (x) = 11x^3 - 19x^4 + x^5 [/tex]

c.
i don't understand what i need to do here. To find the maximum value of a function, we differentiate and make that derivative = 0
so if we are to find the maximum of f'''(x) , does that mean that we simply make the answer from a = 0?

4 + 5x - 6x^2 = 0
This solves to
x= -1/2 and x = 4/3

But since neither of these values is in the given interval of |x| < 0.1, do we just evaluate T(2) (x) at x = -0.1 and x = 0.1 and determine the larger of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Homework Statement:: [tex] f(x) = 4 + 5x - 6x^2 + 11x^3 - 19x^4 + x^5 [/tex]
a. Find Taylor polynomial at x = 0, order 2
b. find the remainder
[tex] R_{2} (x) = f(x) - T_{2} (x) [/tex]
c. Find the maximum values of [tex] f^{(3)} (x) [/tex] on the interval |x| < 0.1
Relevant Equations:: Taylor polynomial formula

question a almost seems too easy as I end up 'removing' the x^4 and x^5 terms
a.
[tex] T_{2} (x) = 4 + 5x - 6x^2 [/tex]

b.
[tex] = R_{2} (x) = 11x^3 - 19x^4 + x^5 [/tex]
Yes, I think it is that easy.
stunner5000pt said:
c.
i don't understand what i need to do here. To find the maximum value of a function, we differentiate and make that derivative = 0
so if we are to find the maximum of f'''(x) , does that mean that we simply make the answer from a = 0?

4 + 5x - 6x^2 = 0
That's not ##f^{(3)}(x)##.
stunner5000pt said:
This solves to
x= -1/2 and x = 4/3

But since neither of these values is in the given interval of |x| < 0.1, do we just evaluate T(2) (x) at x = -0.1 and x = 0.1 and determine the larger of the two?
If there are is no local maximum within an interval, then the maximum value must be at an endpoint.

The answer to your question is yes. To find a maximum, you check the critical points and the endpoints.

PeroK said:
Yes, I think it is that easy.

That's not ##f^{(3)}(x)##.

If there are is no local maximum within an interval, then the maximum value must be at an endpoint.
Right, i see the issue. THe maximum of f'''(x) would be solved by solving f''(x) = 0, is that correct?

stunner5000pt said:
Right, i see the issue. THe maximum of f'''(x) would be solved by solving f''(x) = 0, is that correct?
No ##f^{(4)}(x) = 0##.

stunner5000pt said:

No, you need to take one extra derivative, so you need to fourth derivative.

It might help to first compute ##f^{(3)}## and then start from scratch on that. It's a function, and you need to maximize it

Likes PeroK

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical expression used to approximate a function at a specific point by using a finite number of terms from its infinite Taylor series. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor.

2. How is a Taylor polynomial calculated?

A Taylor polynomial is calculated using the Taylor series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the function at the specific point and evaluating them at that point. The coefficients of the terms in the polynomial are determined by these derivatives.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor polynomial?

The purpose of using a Taylor polynomial is to approximate a function at a specific point with a simpler polynomial expression. This can be useful in situations where the function is difficult to evaluate or graph, or when only a few terms of the Taylor series are needed for a good approximation.

4. How accurate is a Taylor polynomial?

The accuracy of a Taylor polynomial depends on the number of terms used in the polynomial. The more terms used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual function. However, it is important to note that a Taylor polynomial is only an approximation and may not be exact.

5. Can Taylor polynomials be used for any function?

Taylor polynomials can be used for any function that has a well-defined Taylor series. This includes most functions that are continuous and infinitely differentiable. However, for some functions, the Taylor series may not converge or may only converge for a limited range of values, making the use of Taylor polynomials limited.