Find the Derivative/Simplification of 2 Rational Expressions

In summary, WolframAlpha was unable to solve the derivative equation y = [(2x - 5)^4][(8x^2 - 5)^-3] for me. However, I was able to solve it using WolframAlpha's "derivative" function by factoring out certain terms and using the LCD (least common denominator) of (2x - 5)^3.
communitycoll

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of:
y = [(2x - 5)^4][(8x^2 - 5)^-3]

Homework Equations

I get:
y' = -[(48x(2x - 5)^4) / (8x^2 - 5)^4] + [(8(2x - 5)^3) / (8x^2 - 5)^3]

Wolfram gets:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+(2x+-+5)^4(8x^2+-+5)^-3

The Attempt at a Solution

I do everything Wolfram does here:
I just don't know how it simplifies what you see at the bottom (of the "Show Steps" section that is) to get the solution you see at the top.

Physics news on Phys.org
communitycoll said:
I just don't know how it simplifies what you see at the bottom (of the "Show Steps" section that is) to get the solution you see at the top.
You should have learned how to add/subtract rational expressions in algebra. Just like in numerical fractions, you can only add/subtract if the denominators are the same. If they are not, you need to find the LCD (least common denominator) first. What is the LCD in this case?

communitycoll said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of:
y = [(2x - 5)^4][(8x^2 - 5)^-3]

Homework Equations

I get:
y' = -[(48x(2x - 5)^4) / (8x^2 - 5)^4] + [(8(2x - 5)^3) / (8x^2 - 5)^3]
So
[tex]y'= -\frac{48x(2x- 5)^4}{(8x^2- 5)^4}+ \frac{8(2x- 5)^3}{8x^2- 5)^3}[/tex]

Wolfram gets:

The Attempt at a Solution

You have two fractions, one with denominator [itex](8x^2- 5)^4[/itex], the other with denominator [itex](8x^2- 5)^3[/itex]. You can first simplify the calculation by factoring [itex](2x- 5)^3[/itex] out of the numerators and [itex](8x^2- 5)^3[/itex] out of the denominators:
[tex]\frac{(2x-5)^3}{(8x^2-5)^3}\left(\frac{-48x(2x-5)}{8x^2-5}+ 4\right)[/tex]
Now, get a common denominator by multiplying that "4" by [itex](8x^2-5)/(8x^2- 5)[/itex].
[tex]\frac{(2x-5)^3}{(8x^2- 5)^3}\left(\frac{-48(x(2x-5)}{8x^2- 5}+ \frac{4(8x^2- 5}{8x^2- 5}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(2x-5)^3}{(8x^2- 5)^3}\left(\frac{-96x^2+ 240+ 32x^2- 20}{8x^2- 5}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{(2x-5)^3}{(8x^2- 5)^3}\left(\frac{220- 64x^2}{8x^2- 5}\right)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay then. I understand. Thank you both.

Related to Find the Derivative/Simplification of 2 Rational Expressions

What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is a fraction where both the numerator and denominator are polynomials. These expressions often arise in algebraic equations involving variables.

What is the process for finding the derivative of a rational expression?

To find the derivative of a rational expression, you first need to rewrite it as a single fraction using the common denominator. Then, apply the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the denominator squared.

Can I simplify a rational expression?

Yes, rational expressions can often be simplified by factoring both the numerator and denominator and then cancelling out any common factors. This can help to make the expression easier to work with and can also reveal any asymptotes or holes in the graph of the rational function.

What are the restrictions on the variables in a rational expression?

There are two main restrictions to keep in mind when working with rational expressions. First, the denominator cannot equal zero, as this would result in an undefined value. Second, any variables under a radical sign must be positive, as imaginary numbers are not permitted in a rational expression.

How can I use the derivative of a rational expression in real-world applications?

The derivative of a rational expression can be used to find the rate of change of a function, which has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a rational function, which can be helpful in optimization problems.