Differentiating a a rational function

In summary, to find the second derivative of ##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac {1} {x^2+6}##, you need to apply the product rule for derivatives to the first derivative. The correct answer is ##\displaystyle f''(x)=\frac {6x^2-12} {(x^2+6)^3}##. It is not necessary to use the quotient rule.
Specter

Homework Statement

Find the first and second derivatives of ##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac {1} {x^2+6}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac {1} {x^2+6}##

##\displaystyle f(x)=(x^2+6)^{-1}##

##\displaystyle f'(x)=-1(2x)(x^2+6)^{-2}##

##\displaystyle =-2x(x^2+6)^{-2}##

##\displaystyle =-\frac {2x} {(x^2+6)^2}##

I am getting an incorrect answer for the second derivative.

##\displaystyle f'(x)=-\frac {2x} {(x^2+6)^2}##

##\displaystyle f'(x)=-2x(x^2+6)^{-2}##

Following the chain rule..

##\displaystyle F''(x)=nf'(x)f(x)^{n-1}##

##\displaystyle F''(x)=-2x(-2)(2x)(x^2+6)^{-3}##

##\displaystyle =8x^2(x^2+6)^{-3}##

##\displaystyle =\frac {8x^2} {(x^2+6)^3}##

The second derivative is supposed to be ##\displaystyle f''(x)=\frac {6x^2-12} {(x^2+6)^3}## . I can't find my mistake, I thought that I used the chain rule correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Specter said:
I thought that I used the chain rule correctly.
You did not. There is no chain rule for the second derivative. You need to apply the product rule for derivatives when you differentiate the first derivative to get the second.

Likes Specter
Orodruin said:
You did not. There is no chain rule for the second derivative. You need to apply the product rule for derivatives when you differentiate the first derivative to get the second.
Ohhhh.

##\displaystyle f'(x)=-2x(x^2+6)^{-2}##

##\displaystyle f''(x)=-2(x^2+6)^{-2}+(-2x)(-2)(x^2+6)^{-3}(2x)##

##\displaystyle =\frac {-2} {(x^2+6)^2} + \frac {8x^2} {(x^2+6)^3}##

##\displaystyle = \frac {-2(x^2+6)+8x^2} {(x^2+6)^3}##

##\displaystyle = \frac {6x^2-12} {(x^2+6)^3}##

Thank you!

Why not apply the quotient rule directly?

Likes Specter

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that can be written as a ratio of two polynomial functions. It can also be described as a fraction where the numerator and denominator are polynomials.

How do you differentiate a rational function?

To differentiate a rational function, you can use the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

What is the purpose of differentiating a rational function?

The purpose of differentiating a rational function is to find the slope of the function at a specific point, also known as the instantaneous rate of change. This can be useful in many applications, such as finding maximum and minimum values, determining concavity, and solving optimization problems.

What are the common mistakes when differentiating a rational function?

One common mistake when differentiating a rational function is forgetting to apply the chain rule when the numerator or denominator is a composite function. Another mistake is not simplifying the resulting expression after applying the quotient rule, which can lead to incorrect answers.

Can you differentiate a rational function with a variable in the denominator?

Yes, you can differentiate a rational function with a variable in the denominator. However, you may need to use the quotient rule more than once or simplify the resulting expression further to find the derivative. It is also important to consider any restrictions on the variable that may affect the domain of the function.