Find the direction of a blob of clay after impact?

In summary, the student attempted to find the velocity and direction of a blob of clay, and then used the x and y component equations to find the correct sign. They then recomputed the answer using the original x component equation. They are unsure how to prove that the y component equations should have given the correct sign, but are confident in their understanding of the problem.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

blobofclay.PNG

Homework Equations

impulse = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the velocity of the blob of clay now i am trying to find the direction.

i took the xcomponent initial stuff which was
0.04kg*4m/s*cos45 - 0.03kg*3m/s
Then set it to the final x component stuff which i thought would be = 0.09kg*xComponentSpeed*cosθ

I then divided by the 0.09kg*xComponentSpeed and took the inverse cosine of initialmomentum / 0.09kg*xComponentSpeed and got 0degrees

Attachments

• blobofclay.PNG
    blobofclay.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 803
Physics news on Phys.org
i see i made a mistake with the xComponentSpeed. if you replace xComponentSpeed with the speed of the actual blob of clay the answer will be partially correct with 0.80/1.00 points given

i need to now see how to get the other .20 points maybe a sign error

ok i just recomputed it and i am still getting partial credit
0.04kg*4m/s*cos45 - 0.03kg*3m/s
Then set it to the final x component stuff which i thought would be = 0.09kg*SPEED*cosθ

I then divided by the 0.09kg*SPEED and took the inverse cosine of initialmomentum / 0.09kg*SPEED

The result is a positive 72 degrees​

deg.PNG

Attachments

• deg.PNG
    deg.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 719
deg2.PNG

I think i see what my problem was but not sure, when i used the y component equations i got a -72.4 degrees and rounded to -70 and got full credit.
I think it had to be negative because that big blob of clay came flying down with a lot of momentum and smashed right into the smaller blobs of clay resulting in the whole new blob of clays momentum going in the southeast direction. i am unsure how to prove that it should be like that, all i know is that the y component equations gave me the correct sign. So was what i was doing the correct approach? i don't want to close the thread until i know 100% i am understanding everything. How should i have knows to use the y component stuff?

Attachments

• deg2.PNG
    deg2.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 341
isukatphysics69 said:
It is said "angles counter-clockwise from the horizontal are positive".

Attachments

• deg-png.png
    deg-png.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 369

1. How do you determine the direction of a blob of clay after impact?

The direction of a blob of clay after impact can be determined by analyzing the angle at which it was thrown and the angle at which it landed. The direction can also be affected by external factors such as wind or surface texture.

2. What are the key factors that affect the direction of a blob of clay after impact?

The key factors that affect the direction of a blob of clay after impact include the angle at which it was thrown, the angle at which it landed, and any external forces such as wind or surface texture that may alter its trajectory.

3. Can the direction of a blob of clay after impact be predicted accurately?

The direction of a blob of clay after impact can be predicted accurately to some extent, but it may vary due to the unpredictability of external factors. The more precise the initial conditions and the better the understanding of external forces, the more accurate the prediction can be.

4. How does the weight of the clay affect its direction after impact?

The weight of the clay can affect its direction after impact by altering its trajectory and the amount of force it exerts upon impact. Heavier clay may have a more direct and forceful impact, while lighter clay may have a more arced and less forceful impact.

5. Is there a mathematical formula for determining the direction of a blob of clay after impact?

There is no single mathematical formula for determining the direction of a blob of clay after impact, as it depends on many variables and external factors. However, there are equations and principles that can be used to estimate and predict the direction of impact, such as the laws of motion and projectile motion equations.