Find the electric field of a cylindrical charge

In summary: If you want to solve for Q on a surface outside the cylinder, you would need to use Q = y*(volume of cylinder)
zelscore
Homework Statement
Figure 2.29 depicts a long cylindrical charge with a radius a placed in free space
of permittivity e. A charge Q per unit length is uniformly distributed within a
circular cylinder. Determine the electric field.
Hint: Construct a cylindrical Gaussian surface surrounding the charge and apply
Gauss’s law.

Fig 2.29 is basically just a cylinder on a z-axis and where the radius is described as p=a, with the letter Q inside the cylinder
Relevant Equations
From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_surface#Cylindrical_surface
Q = yh, where y is the charge density, and h is the length of the cylinder
Flux of electric field E is the sum of all surface flux
Gauss law: Flux = Q/e
I begin by calculating the flux to be the flux of the cylinders lateral surface, which equals E*2*pi*p*h (p is the radius)
The other two surfaces have E ortogonal to dA, so their flux is 0.
Using Gauss law together with the calculated flux above, I get
Flux = Q/e
Flux = E*2*pi*p*h

Solve for E
E*2*pi*p*h = Q/e
E = Q/2*pi*e*p*h
Q = yh, so
E = y/2*pi*e*p for p >= a which is the same result as wikipedia gets, and this website too http://www.ncert.nic.in/html/learni...city/electrostatics/ef_cylinder_of_charge.htm

using Q instead of y:
E = Q/2*pi*e*p*h for p >= a

HOWEVER, the book I use get
E = Q/2*pi*e*p for p >= a

Which leads me to believe that, in Q = yh, and where h is the length of our "long" cylinder, h can be set to 1 and thus Q = y?

This is my first time posting so if I didn't follow the rules somehow please do tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
zelscore said:
Homework Statement: Figure 2.29 depicts a long cylindrical charge with a radius a placed in free space
of permittivity e. A charge Q per unit length is uniformly distributed within a
circular cylinder. Determine the electric field.
I'm confused. Is there one cylinder or two? If one, is the charge on the surface of the cylinder, along the axis of the cylinder, or both?

haruspex said:
I'm confused. Is there one cylinder or two? If one, is the charge on the surface of the cylinder, along the axis of the cylinder, or both?
There is one cylinder. The charge Q is inside the cylinder, on the axis of the cylinder (is how I interpreted the question, and solved it). That is why I had Q = yh and not Q = y*(volume of cylinder). Because I assumed the charge is concentrated on the line in the cylinder

Related to Find the electric field of a cylindrical charge

1. What is a cylindrical charge?

A cylindrical charge is a type of electric charge that is distributed along the surface of a cylinder. It can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the electric field of a cylindrical charge calculated?

The electric field of a cylindrical charge can be calculated using the equation E = λ/2πε₀r, where λ is the linear charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a cylindrical charge?

The strength of the electric field of a cylindrical charge is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the charge, and the permittivity of the medium surrounding the charge.

4. How does the direction of the electric field of a cylindrical charge change with distance?

The direction of the electric field of a cylindrical charge changes with distance in a radial direction, meaning it points away from the center of the cylinder at all points along its surface.

5. Can the electric field of a cylindrical charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a cylindrical charge can be negative if the charge itself is negative. This indicates that the electric field points towards the center of the cylinder instead of away from it.