Find the escape velocity from 2 point charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup and solution of a problem involving point charges and the calculation of their potential energy. The final equation is given as V(esc) = sqrt(4kQq/mr), and the conversation confirms that the equation was set up correctly. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of the symbols used and discusses the initial and final configurations and their corresponding kinetic and potential energies. The final conclusion is that the initial potential energy cannot be zero, as the charges do not cancel at negative distance.
r-swald
Homework Statement
2 charges of -6nC are placed on the y-axis, on .005m above, and one .005m below the origin. A proton is launched from origin to the right along the x-axis. What is the escape velocity (m/s)?
Relevant Equations
PE = kQq / r
KE = mv^2 / 2
Below is the work I've attempted. I used 2 PE b'c there were 2 point charges, and only one KE b'c only the proton is moving. The final equation in case it's hard to see is V(esc) = sqrt (4kQq / mr).

I'm not sure if I did it right. Did I set up this equation right? and I am also not sure what to plug in for "r".
IMG_1250.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
r-swald said:
I'm not sure if I did it right. Did I set up this equation right? and I am also not sure what to plug in for "r".

You wrote that ##\sum E = W_{\rm nc}##. But, this is not quite right.

##W_{\rm nc}## is the work done by nonconservative forces as the system changes from some initial configuration to some final configuration. ##W_{\rm nc}## equals the change in total energy ##E## of the system as the system goes from the initial to final configuration.

That is, ##\Delta E = W_{\rm nc}## ##\,\,\,\,\,## (The ##\Delta## symbol is essential here.)

You know that ##W_{\rm nc} = 0## for this problem. Thus, ##\Delta E =0##.

This means that ##E_i = E_f## ##\,\,\,## or ##\,\,\,## ##KE_i+PE_i = KE_f + PE_f## ##\,\,\,\,##(conservation of energy)

You are given information about the initial configuration. You will need to decide what to take for the final configuration. Then consider what to write for ##KE_i##, ##PE_i ##, ##KE_f##, and ##PE_f##.

If you are clear on the initial and final configurations, then you should be able to see what to use for ##r## in ##PE_i## and ##PE_f##.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and r-swald
TSny said:
You are given information about the initial configuration. You will need to decide what to take for the final configuration. Then consider what to write for ##KE_i##, ##PE_i ##, ##KE_f##, and ##PE_f##.

If you are clear on the initial and final configurations, then you should be able to see what to use for ##r## in ##PE_i## and ##PE_f##.

Ah, okay I mixed up change in and sum of.
I tried this again and I must be thinking screwy b'c the final KE I figured to be 0 since V final would be approaching 0, and the final PE I figured to be 0 since r final would approach infinity.
I also ended up with 0 initial PE b'c the top and bottom charges would cancel out.
I don't know what I'm doing.

r-swald said:
Ah, okay I mixed up change in and sum of.
I tried this again and I must be thinking screwy b'c the final KE I figured to be 0 since V final would be approaching 0, and the final PE I figured to be 0 since r final would approach infinity.
That all sounds good.
I also ended up with 0 initial PE b'c the top and bottom charges would cancel out.
Think about this some more. What's the initial PE for the proton and the charge Q at y = .005 m? What 's the initial PE for the proton and the charge Q at y = -.005 m?

Likes r-swald
TSny said:
That all sounds good.
Think about this some more. What's the initial PE for the proton and the charge Q at y = .005 m? What 's the initial PE for the proton and the charge Q at y = -.005 m?

Right, negative distance isn't possible, they'd only cancel if the charges were opposite. Thank you!

Likes TSny

What is the concept of escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or star.

How is escape velocity calculated?

The escape velocity from a point charge is calculated using the formula: v = √(2q/r), where v is the escape velocity, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance between the two point charges.

What factors affect the escape velocity from two point charges?

The escape velocity from two point charges depends on the charges of the two points, as well as the distance between them. As the charges increase, the escape velocity also increases. However, as the distance between the two points increases, the escape velocity decreases.

Can the escape velocity from two point charges be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the escape velocity from two point charges cannot exceed the speed of light.

What is the significance of calculating the escape velocity from two point charges?

Calculating the escape velocity from two point charges is important in understanding the dynamics of objects in space and how they interact with each other. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and space travel.