Why Does My Graph Cross the Horizontal Asymptote y=1?

So the equation of the horizontal asymptote should be y = 1/1 or y = 1.In summary, the horizontal asymptote for the rational function (x^2+x-12)/(x^2-4) is y = 1. This is determined by looking at the degrees of the numerator and denominator, where both are 2. The equation for the asymptote is given by the coefficients of the leading terms, which in this case are both 1. However, when graphing on a TI-84 plus calculator, the graph may appear to cross the asymptote for values of x close to 0, but this is expected behavior for rational functions. The equation can be written as y = 1/1 or
Immutef

Homework Statement

Find the horizontal asymptote(if there is one) using the rule for determining the horizontal asymptote of a rational function for (x^2+x-12)/ (x^2 -4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the degree of the numerator and denominator are both 2.

Y=(An)/(Bn)
Y=1/1
Y=1

When I do the math, the horizontal asymptote is the line y=1.

However when I graph this equation on a TI- 84 plus graphing calculator, if i use the trace, or table functions, the part of the graph that does not appear to cross the line y=1, does. Why is this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Immutef said:

Homework Statement

Find the horizontal asymptote(if there is one) using the rule for determining the horizontal asymptote of a rational function for (x^2+x-12)/ (x^2 -4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the degree of the numerator and denominator are both 1.
No, the degree of the numerator and denominator is 2. How did you get 1?
Immutef said:
Y=(An)/(Bn)
Y=1/1
Y=1

When I do the math, the horizontal asymptote is the line y=1.

However when I graph this equation on a TI- 84 plus graphing calculator, if i use the trace, or table functions, the part of the graph that does not appear to cross the line y=1, does. Why is this?
The whole idea about a horizontal asymptote is to describe behavior of the function for very large x or very negative x. For very large (or very negative) values, the graph of the function won't cross the asymptote. For values of x that are relatively close to 0, the graph can cross the asymptote.

Mark44 said:
No, the degree of the numerator and denominator is 2. How did you get 1?
The whole idea about a horizontal asymptote is to describe behavior of the function for very large x or very negative x. For very large (or very negative) values, the graph of the function won't cross the asymptote. For values of x that are relatively close to 0, the graph can cross the asymptote.

Sorry, yes the degree is 2, I typed the wrong number. Thank you for the quick response.

* I will correct that in the original posting, as it was a repeated typo

Now this part is wrong -
Immutef said:
Y=(An)/(Bn)
Y=2/2
Y=1

There are two things going on here: (1) the degrees of numerator and denominator, (2) the coefficients of the leading terms in the numerator and denominator.

In a rational function, when deg(numerator) = deg(denominator), the equation of the horizontal asymptote is y = an/bn. Here, an is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the numerator, and bn is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the denominator.

For your problem an = bn = 1.

Related to Why Does My Graph Cross the Horizontal Asymptote y=1?

1. What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a straight line that a graph approaches but never touches as the input value (x) increases or decreases without bound.

2. How do you find the horizontal asymptote of a function?

To find the horizontal asymptote of a function, you must first simplify the function to its simplest form. Then, take the limit as x approaches positive or negative infinity. The resulting value or equation is the horizontal asymptote.

3. Can a function have more than one horizontal asymptote?

Yes, a function can have multiple horizontal asymptotes. This can happen when the limit as x approaches positive or negative infinity results in a range of values, or when the function has a removable discontinuity.

4. What is the difference between a horizontal asymptote and a vertical asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a line that the graph approaches but never touches, while a vertical asymptote is a vertical line where the graph has an infinite discontinuity.

5. Are all functions guaranteed to have a horizontal asymptote?

No, not all functions have a horizontal asymptote. Some functions may have a slant asymptote or no asymptote at all.