Find the integral of ∫1/(1+tanx)dx

• Thread starter Rhdjfgjgj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Rhdjfgjgj
Member warned that some effort must be shown
Homework Statement
my teacher told me to solve this one in all the possible ways . I seem to have missed out on any one of them. Please help me oout
Relevant Equations
All standard integrals and concepts covered in AP calculus
I have done one by assuming tanx as u in substitution

• Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
Rhdjfgjgj said:
Homework Statement: my teacher told me to solve this one in all the possible ways . I seem to have missed out on any one of them. Please help me oout
Relevant Equations: All standard integrals and concepts covered in AP calculus

I have done one by assuming tanx as u in substitution
Please show us. Thanks.

Likes nuuskur
What is all possible ways? I can think of only substitution, but not the one you attempted. I think a half-angle should be better.

Also consider [tex]\tan(x - a) = \frac{\tan x - \tan a}{1 + \tan x \tan a}
= \frac{1}{\tan a} - \left(\frac{1}{\tan a} + \tan a\right) \frac{1}{1 + \tan x \tan a}
[/tex] for suitable [itex]a[/itex].

1. How do I find the integral of ∫1/(1+tanx)dx?

To find the integral of ∫1/(1+tanx)dx, we can use the substitution method. Let u = tan(x), then du = sec^2(x)dx. After substituting, the integral becomes ∫1/(1+u) * du, which is a standard integral that can be easily solved.

2. Can I simplify the integrand before finding the integral?

Yes, you can simplify the integrand before finding the integral. In this case, you can rewrite tan(x) as sin(x)/cos(x) and then simplify the expression to 1/(1+sin(x)/cos(x)). This will make it easier to integrate.

3. Are there any alternative methods to find the integral of ∫1/(1+tanx)dx?

Yes, there are alternative methods to find the integral of ∫1/(1+tanx)dx. You can use trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand further or use partial fractions to break down the expression into simpler terms.

4. Is there a specific range of values for x where this integral is valid?

Yes, there is a specific range of values for x where this integral is valid. Since tan(x) is not defined at odd multiples of π/2 (x = (2n+1)π/2), the integral ∫1/(1+tanx)dx is valid for all x except these values.

5. Can I use any online tools or software to calculate this integral?

Yes, you can use online tools or software like Wolfram Alpha or Symbolab to calculate the integral of ∫1/(1+tanx)dx. These tools can provide step-by-step solutions and help you understand the process of finding the integral.