What is the primitive of sinx/cos^2x?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a primitive of the function ∫e^(-x)(1-tanx)secx dx. The person attempting to solve the problem realizes that the derivative of -secx is -sinx/cos^2 x, but struggles with the fact that the problem has e^(-x) instead of e^(x) and that -sin/cos^2 is the derivative of -secx, not secx. Eventually, they come to the realization that by substituting -x=t, they can solve the problem.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

∫e^(-x)(1-tanx)secx dx
2. Attempt at a solution
I know ∫e^x(f(x)+f'(x))=e^x f(x)
and I intuitively know f(x) could be secx here and therefore f'(x) will be secxtanx but I can't figure out how to reach that

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want a primitive of ##\displaystyle { \sin x\over \cos^2 x}## .

It is almost handed over on a silver platter: if ##\ \ -\displaystyle {\sin x\over \cos^2 x}\ ## is ##f'(x)##, what do you have left over for ##f(x)## ?

BvU said:

It is almost handed over on a silver platter: if ##\ \ -\displaystyle {\sin x\over \cos^2 x}\ ## is ##f'(x)##, what do you have left over for ##f(x)## ?
I know the derivative of -secx is -sinx/cos^2 x. the first trouble is that the problem has e^(-x) instead of e^(x). the second is that -sin/cos^2 is the derivative of -secx, not secx. I'm sure these two things tie together somehow through a basic simplification but I can't figure this basic simplification out

BvU said:

AHHH! how INCREDIBLY stupid of me. I just had to put -x=t (sorry you had to read this question). I'm never going to be a scientist this way...

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation, where the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is used when an integral involves a product of two functions, and it is difficult to evaluate the integral using other methods such as substitution or trigonometric identities. It is particularly useful for integrals involving logarithmic, exponential, or inverse trigonometric functions.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and dv and du are their respective differentials. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation.

How do you choose u and dv in integration by parts?

When choosing u and dv, it is important to follow the acronym "LIATE": logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, exponential. In general, u should be the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv should be the function that becomes easier to integrate when differentiated. It may take some trial and error to determine the best choice for u and dv.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake is to choose u and dv in a way that leads to a more complicated integral than the original one. It is important to choose u and dv strategically to simplify the integral. Additionally, forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating dv can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to check for any symmetry in the integral, as this may allow for a simpler solution using other integration techniques.