Find the Intersection Point of Lines $(3,1,-2)$ and $x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t$

In summary, if the two lines are at right angles, then their direction vectors are perpendicular and their dot product is 0.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :eek:

I have to find the line that passes through $(3, 1, -2)$ and intersects under right angle the line $x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t$.

(HINT: If $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ the intersection point, find the coordinates.)

I have done the following:

The line that passes through $(3, 1, -2)$ is of the form $$\overrightarrow{l}(t)=(3, 1, -2)+t\overrightarrow{u}$$ where $\overrightarrow{u}$ is a vector parallel to the line.

Let $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ be the intersection point of the line $\overrightarrow{l}$ and the line $x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t$, then we have the folowing:

$$x_0=3+tu_1=-1+t, \\ y_0=1+tu_2=-2+t, \\ z_0=-2+tu_3=-1+t$$

Is it correct so far?? (Wondering)

How could I continue?? (Wondering)

Do we have to use the fact that the two lines intersect under right angle?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hello! :eek:

I have to find the line that passes through $(3, 1, -2)$ and intersects under right angle the line $x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t$.

(HINT: If $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ the intersection point, find the coordinates.)

I have done the following:

The line that passes through $(3, 1, -2)$ is of the form $$\overrightarrow{l}(t)=(3, 1, -2)+t\overrightarrow{u}$$ where $\overrightarrow{u}$ is a vector parallel to the line.

Let $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ be the intersection point of the line $\overrightarrow{l}$ and the line $x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t$, then we have the folowing:

$$x_0=3+tu_1=-1+t, \\ y_0=1+tu_2=-2+t, \\ z_0=-2+tu_3=-1+t$$

Is it correct so far?? (Wondering)

How could I continue?? (Wondering)

Do we have to use the fact that the two lines intersect under right angle?? (Wondering)

If the two lines are at right angles, then so are their direction vectors. So the dot product of those direction vectors must be 0.

Prove It said:
If the two lines are at right angles, then so are their direction vectors. So the dot product of those direction vectors must be 0.

Do you mean the following??

$$(u_1, u_2, u_3) \cdot (1, 1, 1)=0$$ (Wondering)

1. What is the intersection point of the two lines?

The intersection point of the two lines is (-1, -2, -1).

2. How do you find the intersection point of two lines?

To find the intersection point of two lines, you can set their equations equal to each other and solve for the variables. In this case, you can set the x, y, and z values of the first line equal to the respective equations of the second line and solve for t. Then, plug the value of t back into one of the equations to find the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. Is there always an intersection point when two lines are given?

No, there may not always be an intersection point when two lines are given. If the equations of the lines are parallel, they will never intersect. Additionally, if the equations of the lines are identical, they will have infinite points of intersection.

4. Can you determine if two lines are parallel or intersecting by looking at their equations?

Yes, you can determine if two lines are parallel or intersecting by looking at their equations. If the slopes of the lines are equal, they are parallel. If the slopes are different, they will intersect at some point.

5. How can you use the intersection point of two lines in real-world applications?

The intersection point of two lines can be used in real-world applications such as finding the point of collision between two moving objects, determining the point where two roads intersect, or calculating the point where two graphs intersect in mathematical modeling.