What Is the Calculation for Magnetic Energy in a Coaxial Cable?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic energy stored in a coaxial cable and using integration to find the self-inductance of the cable per unit length. The solution provided shows an understanding of the problem, but the mistake may lie in incorrect integration.
mmh37
Hi everyone,

this is a hard question (at least for me):

For a coaxial cable (description see below) find the magnetic energy stored in a cylindrical annulus of unit length, raduius r and thickness dr, in the regions 0<r<a and a<r<b.

Hence by integration find the magnetic energy stored in unit length of the cable and deduce the self-inductance of the cable per unit length

(you may assume that the thickness of the outer cylindrical conductor is is very small so that you can ignore the magnetic energy stored in the region b<r<c).

this is my solution/attempt:

1. magentic Energy

[tex] W = \frac {L*I^2} {2} = (...) = \frac {B^2} {2*mu} * Volume [/tex]

therefore [tex] W/l = \frac {B^2} {2*mu} * Area [/tex] where the area is pi* r^2

0<r<a

[tex] B (r) = \frac {mu *l*r} {2*pi*a^2} [/tex]

so substituting in energy expression derived above gives:

[tex]W = \frac {mu *l^2*r^4} {8*pi*a^4} dr[/tex]

a<r<b

[tex] B = \frac {mu *l} {2*pi*r} [/tex]

so [tex] W = \frac {mu *l^2} {8*pi}dr [/tex]

now, to find the total energy I integrated the first expression from 0 to a and added the second, which I integrated from a to b.

The self-inductance would then be esaily calculable by W = .5* L*I^2

However, this gives the wrong result and I am 99% certain that there is no calculation error.

Can anyone see the mistake?

Thanks so much! :smile:

a coaxial cable consists of a solid inner cylindrical conductor of radius a and an outer cylindrical conductor of inner and outer radius b and c. Distributed currents of equal magnitude I flow in opposite directions in the two conductors. expressions for the magnetic flux density B(r) for each of these regions are

1) 0<r <a

[tex] B = \frac {mu *l*r} {2*pi*a^2} [/tex]

where mu is the permeability of free space

2) a<r<b

[tex] B = \frac {mu *l} {2*pi*r} [/tex]

3) b<r<c

[tex] B = \frac {mu *l*(c^2-r^2)} {2*pi*r*(c^2-b^2)} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your solution and question with us. It seems like you have a solid understanding of the problem and have approached it correctly. However, I believe the mistake may lie in your integration.

When integrating from 0 to a, you should be integrating the expression for B(r) in the first region (0<r<a), which is B = (mu * l * r) / (2 * pi * a^2). This means that the expression for W should be:

W = integral from 0 to a of [(mu * l * r)^2 / (8 * pi^2 * a^4)] dr.

Similarly, when integrating from a to b, you should be using the expression for B(r) in the second region (a<r<b), which is B = (mu * l) / (2 * pi * r). This means that the expression for W should be:

W = integral from a to b of [(mu * l)^2 / (8 * pi^2 * r^2)] dr.

By integrating these correctly, you should be able to find the total energy and then the self-inductance per unit length. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is a type of potential energy that results from the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, within a magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic energy measured?

Magnetic energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron-volts (eV). It can also be measured indirectly by measuring the force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle.

3. How is magnetic energy used in everyday life?

Magnetic energy is used in a variety of ways in everyday life, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used to store and transport energy in batteries and power grids.

4. How can I calculate the magnetic energy of a system?

The magnetic energy of a system can be calculated using the formula E = (1/2) * m * B^2, where E is the magnetic energy, m is the magnetic moment, and B is the magnetic field strength. This formula can be applied to a variety of systems, such as a single magnetic dipole or a collection of magnetic particles.

5. What factors affect the amount of magnetic energy in a system?

The amount of magnetic energy in a system is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number and arrangement of magnetic particles, and the distance between those particles. Additionally, the material properties of the particles, such as their magnetic moment, can also influence the amount of magnetic energy in a system.