Find the mass of a cat as it walks across a plank

• Thread starter agentlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the cat tips the plank because the mass of the cat is greater than the mass of the plank.
agentlee

Homework Statement

A cat walks along a uniform plank that is 4.00m long and has a mass of 7.00kg. The plank is supported buy two sawhorses, one .440m from the left end of the board and the other 1.50m from its right end. When the cat reaches the right ened, the plank just begins to tip. What is the mass of the cat?

Homework Equations

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0
Ʃτ = 0

τ=I∂=Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a solved example from my book, but I don't understand how they do it.
They're saying to calculate the torque about the right sawhorse, so they do
Mg(.500m) - mg(1.50)m = 0

This is probably an obvious one but, I have no idea where the .500m came from. Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What point do you think they're choosing for the axis of rotation?

I forgot to mention they labeled F1=0, so that's the axis of rotation right?

Where is the center of mass of the plank?

No. The reason F1 = 0 is because the plank is about to tip and is therefore losing contact with the sawhorse on the left. But they are not choosing the sawhorse on the left as the axis of rotation.

As the plank begins to tip, about what point does it rotate?

Where the cat is positioned?

agentlee said:
Where the cat is positioned?

No, that's not it either.

I see what you mean now, okay. So through a valiant use of process of elimination, the second sawhorse

agentlee said:
I see what you mean now, okay. So through a valiant use of process of elimination, the second sawhorse
:smile:

So, when you want to find the torque due to the weight of the board, at what point of the plank do you put the weight of the board?

Oh wow...The weight's at halfway and the plank is at 1.5m so 2-1.5...wow lol
Thanks for your help :D

1. How do you find the mass of a cat as it walks across a plank?

In order to find the mass of a cat as it walks across a plank, you will need to use a scale. Place the scale on a sturdy surface and zero it out. Then, have the cat walk onto the scale and record the weight. This weight will be the mass of the cat.

2. Why is it important to find the mass of a cat as it walks across a plank?

Finding the mass of a cat as it walks across a plank can be important in various scientific studies and experiments. It can help determine the cat's body composition, weight distribution, and overall health.

3. What is the unit of measurement used to find the mass of a cat?

The unit of measurement used to find the mass of a cat (or any object) is typically in kilograms or pounds. It is important to use a consistent unit of measurement throughout the experiment.

4. Can the mass of a cat change as it walks across a plank?

Yes, the mass of a cat can change as it walks across a plank. This can be due to factors such as the cat's movement, breathing, or even eating or drinking while on the scale. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average for a more accurate result.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when finding the mass of a cat?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when finding the mass of a cat. Make sure the scale is on a stable surface and that the cat is comfortable and not in danger of falling off. It is also important to handle the cat gently and avoid causing any harm or distress to the animal.