Supporting a plank of wood with a mass at the centre

• Thread starter Apothem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Wood
In summary, the problem is that when the plank is moved towards the ends, it becomes harder to support.
Apothem

Homework Statement

"Two people are holding a plank of wood at either end, with a mass located at the halfway point between them, they both walk backwards extending their arms, the mass still being halfway between them. The plank becomes harder to support, why is this?"

Homework Equations

Maybe the idea of moments?

The Attempt at a Solution

If it involves the use of moments do I deem the people are acting as pivots? As I haven't really given a "solution" could you perhaps point me in the right direction, so I can come to the answer?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a sketch with the relevant forces?

I see a possible real-life effect that could make it harder, but that is beyond the typical "find the forces" problems.

I assume that at first the two people are supporting the plank at some point not at the ends of the plank? In any case, it is not obvious to me that it will become harder to support the plank as they move towards the ends of the plank. Is that all the information you have? Or are they holding the ends of the plank at all times, and just walking back with their hands now extended?

I think the teacher was just trying to use an analogy to make it easier to understand. I am just in the process of creating images, which I will upload in a second.

7i8ExlR.png

It could well be possible I misunderstood the question the teacher asked, as we did have to write it down, if so I will ask next time I see him.

Doc Al said:
Or are they holding the ends of the plank at all times, and just walking back with their hands now extended?
Hmm, that would make sense. I don't see how the problem statement would lead to this interpretation, but then it is really getting harder.

As shown in post 5, the forces stay exactly the same with an ideal plank. A real plank would bend more in the second setup, which could it make harder to carry.

mfb said:
Hmm, that would make sense. I don't see how the problem statement would lead to this interpretation, but then it is really getting harder.

As shown in post 5, the forces stay exactly the same with an ideal plank. A real plank would bend more in the second setup, which could it make harder to carry.

Maybe it is that then, as I said I probably misheard what the teacher said when I wrote the problem down.

Doc Al said:
I assume that at first the two people are supporting the plank at some point not at the ends of the plank? In any case, it is not obvious to me that it will become harder to support the plank as they move towards the ends of the plank. Is that all the information you have? Or are they holding the ends of the plank at all times, and just walking back with their hands now extended?

Sorry I have just looked over my notes and realized that I wrote: "two people are holding the plank at either end they move further apart", so it must mean they are just walking back". I'll edit it on the first post now

Apothem said:
Sorry I have just looked over my notes and realized that I wrote: "two people are holding the plank at either end they move further apart", so it must mean they are just walking back". I'll edit it on the first post now
Good. Now the problem makes some sense.

Doc Al said:
Good. Now the problem makes some sense.

Could you give me a hint of how to approach the question please?

No need for help anymore I have figured it out! Thanks anyway.

Apothem said:
No need for help anymore I have figured it out! Thanks anyway.
Good. I think you gave yourself your own hint: Moments.

1. How does the mass at the centre affect the stability of the plank of wood?

The mass at the centre of a plank of wood can greatly affect its stability. The greater the mass, the more force and weight it exerts on the plank, making it more likely to collapse or bend. It is important to consider the weight and distribution of the mass when supporting a plank of wood.

2. What is the best way to support a plank of wood with a central mass?

The best way to support a plank of wood with a central mass is to evenly distribute the weight on either side of the mass. This can be achieved by using multiple support points or a sturdy platform underneath the plank.

3. Can the type of material used for the plank affect its stability?

Yes, the type of material used for the plank can greatly affect its stability. Different materials have different weight capacities and strength, so it is important to choose a material that can withstand the weight of the central mass and provide enough support.

4. How can I calculate the weight capacity of a plank of wood with a central mass?

The weight capacity of a plank of wood with a central mass can be calculated by considering the weight and distribution of the mass, as well as the type and strength of the material. It is important to consult weight capacity charts or consult a structural engineer for accurate calculations.

5. Is it necessary to use additional support for a plank of wood with a central mass?

In most cases, additional support is necessary for a plank of wood with a central mass. This is to ensure the stability and safety of the plank and to prevent it from collapsing or bending under the weight of the mass. The type and amount of additional support needed may vary depending on the weight and distribution of the mass, as well as the material used for the plank.