Find the Mistake in Calculating Volume by Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding a volume using integration and geometry. The attached problem is solved and the answer is compared to the answer from the book. After some calculations, it is determined that the answer from the book is not logical and the correct answer is the one provided by the solver. The conversation ends with a thanks for clarifying the issue.
keewansadeq

Homework Statement

I have the attached problem ,and Show my answer and solution,

My answer is 3.14*(15 -8ln4)
While book answer 3.14(15+8ln)
IMG_2214.jpg

Can anyone point to the mistake I made?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation looks correct to me. I don't see any obvious errors.

Your work also looks good to me.
The one thing I noticed is the answer from the book would be right if you take the negative away from the 1.

I'm guessing the book has a typo.

keewansadeq said:
While book answer 3.14(15+8ln)
If this is actually the book's answer, it makes no sense without something following ln.

Thanks
Absolutely right, but draw the function, you will see that volume is almost as his answer(using geometry not integration),and that why I am confused.

keewansadeq said:
Thanks
Absolutely right, but draw the function, you will see that volume is almost as his answer(using geometry not integration),and that why I am confused.

If you think that the book's answer ##\pi (15+8 \ln(4))## is close to the correct answer you are very much mistaken. The correct answer is yours, except that the approximation ##\pi = 3.14## is way too crude---just leave it as symbolic ##\pi## until it comes time to evaluate the final answer numerically. Look at the following:
[tex]\begin{array}{rccc}
\pi (15 - 8 \ln\,4 )& \doteq & 12.28251236 & \doteq & 12.3 \\
\pi (15 + 8 \ln\,4 ) & \doteq & 81.96526726 & \doteq & 82.0 \\
\pi 15 & \doteq & 47.12388981 & \doteq & 47.1
\end{array}

[/tex]

Likes Charles Link
you
Ray Vickson said:
If you think that the book's answer ##\pi (15+8 \ln(4))## is close to the correct answer you are very much mistaken. The correct answer is yours, except that the approximation ##\pi = 3.14## is way too crude---just leave it as symbolic ##\pi## until it comes time to evaluate the final answer numerically. Look at the following:
[tex]\begin{array}{rccc}
\pi (15 - 8 \ln\,4 )& \doteq & 12.28251236 & \doteq & 12.3 \\
\pi (15 + 8 \ln\,4 ) & \doteq & 81.96526726 & \doteq & 82.0 \\
\pi 15 & \doteq & 47.12388981 & \doteq & 47.1
\end{array}

[/tex]
You are right his answer is not logical,

Thanks

Related to Find the Mistake in Calculating Volume by Integration

1. What is "Volume by integration?"

"Volume by integration" is a mathematical method used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object by integrating the cross-sectional area of the object along a specific axis.

2. How does "Volume by integration" differ from other methods of finding volume?

"Volume by integration" is different from other methods of finding volume, such as using geometric formulas, because it can be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects or objects with curved surfaces.

3. What is the formula for "Volume by integration?"

The formula for "Volume by integration" is V = ∫A(x)dx, where V is the volume, A(x) is the cross-sectional area at a specific point on the axis, and dx is the infinitesimal width of the cross-sectional slice.

4. What types of objects can be measured using "Volume by integration?"

"Volume by integration" can be used to measure the volume of any three-dimensional object, including but not limited to cylinders, cones, spheres, and irregularly shaped objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Volume by integration?"

"Volume by integration" has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of liquids in containers, determining the volume of underground oil reserves, and finding the volume of complex structures in architecture and engineering.