What Is the Orbital Period of a Satellite at 1000 km Altitude?

In summary, the orbital period of a satellite orbiting Earth at an altitude of 1.00x10^3 km can be calculated using the equation T= 2∏√r^3/GM, where r is the distance from the center of the Earth, which is equal to the sum of the Earth's radius and the satellite's altitude. The conversion from km to meters should be done by multiplying by 1000, not dividing.
SmallPub

Homework Statement

If a satellite is to orbit Earth at an altitude of 1.00x10^3 Km, what would be its orbital period? rs = 1.00x10^3 km, Mearth = 5.97x10^24 kg, Gravitational Constant = 6.67x10^-11

Homework Equations

T= 2∏√r^3/GM

The Attempt at a Solution

rs = 0.815484549m (i converted the satellite's altitude to meters) T= 2∏√0.815484549^3/6.67x10^-11 x 5.97x10^24 = error in my calculator ):

Edit: i did not convert km into meters correctly so it would be 1 meter

2∏√1^3/6.67x10^-11 x 5.97x10^24

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SmallPub said:

Homework Statement

If a satellite is to orbit Earth at an altitude of 1.00x10^3 Km, what would be its orbital period? rs = 1.00x10^3 km, Mearth = 5.97x10^24 kg, Gravitational Constant = 6.67x10^-11

Homework Equations

T= 2∏√r^3/GM

The Attempt at a Solution

rs = 0.815484549m (i converted the satellite's altitude to meters) T= 2∏√0.815484549^3/6.67x10^-11 x 5.97x10^24 = error in my calculator ):

Where does "0.815484549" come from? Also, keep in mind that altitude is not the same thing as radius :wink:

gneill said:
Where does "0.815484549" come from? Also, keep in mind that altitude is not the same thing as radius :wink:

In my class i have to convert Km to meters so i divide it by 100. So to find the radius of the satellite do i have to add the radius of the Earth to the altitude of the satellite?

Thanks

EDIT: I mean 1000 so it would be 1m oops

Think! 1 kilometer is 1000 meters, not 0.01 meters. Aside: How did you get 0.815484549 meters by dividing 1.00x10^3 km by 100? (And once again, you do not want to divide by 100.)

Altitude means height above the surface of the Earth, so to get the distance from the center of the Earth you need to add the Earth's radius to the altitude.

Likes 1 person
SmallPub said:
In my class i have to convert Km to meters so i divide it by 100. So to find the radius of the satellite do i have to add the radius of the Earth to the altitude of the satellite?

Thanks

EDIT: I mean 1000 so it would be 1m oops

Each km is 1000 meters. So to convert km to meters, multiply by 1000. Thus, 1000 km is 1000 x 1000 meters. And yes, add the Earth radius to the altitude to determine the orbital radius.

Likes 1 person
D H said:
Think! 1 kilometer is 1000 meters, not 0.01 meters. Aside: How did you get 0.815484549 meters by dividing 1.00x10^3 km by 100? (And once again, you do not want to divide by 100.)

Altitude means height above the surface of the Earth, so to get the distance from the center of the Earth you need to add the Earth's radius to the altitude.

when i divided km by 100 i was thinking cm into meters (because 100cm = 1m ) and yes i got 0.815484549m by doing 1.00x10^3 km by 100, it was pretty stupid of me and thanks for your help

1. What is the orbital period?

The orbital period is the time it takes for an object to complete one orbit around another object. This is usually measured in days, years, or other units of time depending on the size and speed of the objects involved.

2. How is the orbital period calculated?

The orbital period is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. The semi-major axis is the average distance between the two objects in their orbits. This calculation can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect the orbital period?

The orbital period is primarily determined by the mass and distance between the two objects in orbit. The larger the mass of the objects and the closer they are to each other, the shorter the orbital period will be. Other factors that can affect the orbital period include the shape of the orbit, the presence of other objects in the system, and the effects of gravity from other nearby objects.

4. How can the orbital period be measured?

The orbital period can be measured using various methods, depending on the type of objects in orbit. For planets orbiting a star, scientists can use telescopes to track the position of the planet over time and calculate the orbital period. For satellites orbiting the Earth, measurements can be taken using radar or satellite tracking systems. In some cases, the orbital period can also be inferred from the observed behavior of the objects in orbit.

5. Why is calculating the orbital period important?

Calculating the orbital period is important for understanding the motions and interactions of celestial objects. It allows us to predict the positions of objects in the future, track their movements, and make observations and measurements. It also provides valuable information for space missions and can help us better understand the formation and evolution of our solar system and other planetary systems.