Find the partial diameter error of the surface area of cylinder

abobik
Homework Statement
Hello everyone. I need help.
How Can I find partial diameter error of surface area of cylinder if I have diameter absolute error, average diameter and average height. Just write a formula. Please!
Relevant Equations
Using derivative
(ΔSA/ΔD) = 2πHΔD
Something is wrong I guess as I get wrong value.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn’t do the derivative correctly. Write the formula more carefully and then take the derivative more carefully. Hint: D is not ##\Delta D## (but also careful with the constants)

Likes berkeman
Cutter Ketch said:
You didn’t do the derivative correctly. Write the formula more carefully and then take the derivative more carefully. Hint: D is not ##\Delta D## (but also careful with the constants)
Thanks! But, actually, I don't really get it.. Now, the formula is Partial Diameter Error = (2πH + πD) * ΔD?

abobik said:
Thanks! But, actually, I don't really get it.. Now, the formula is Partial Diameter Error = (2πH + πD) * ΔD?
Start by posting the formula you are using for the area.

Likes Cutter Ketch

1. What is the partial diameter error of the surface area of a cylinder?

The partial diameter error of the surface area of a cylinder refers to the difference between the actual surface area and the calculated surface area when the diameter measurement is not precise. It is a measure of the accuracy of the surface area calculation.

2. How is the partial diameter error calculated for a cylinder?

The partial diameter error is calculated by subtracting the calculated surface area from the actual surface area and dividing the result by the actual surface area. The result is then multiplied by 100 to express it as a percentage.

3. What factors can contribute to the partial diameter error of a cylinder?

The partial diameter error can be caused by a number of factors, such as measurement error, irregularities in the cylinder's shape or surface, and inaccuracies in the formula used to calculate the surface area.

4. Can the partial diameter error be eliminated?

It is not possible to completely eliminate the partial diameter error, as there will always be some degree of measurement error and imperfections in the cylinder's surface. However, it can be reduced by using more precise measurement techniques and taking multiple measurements to account for any irregularities.

5. Why is it important to calculate the partial diameter error of a cylinder's surface area?

Calculating the partial diameter error allows us to assess the accuracy of our measurements and calculations. It also helps us identify any potential sources of error and make adjustments to improve the precision of our results.