Find the Principal Axes of the Section Shown

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the principal axes of a given section using centroid equations, second moments of area, and Mohr's Circle for I equations. The main point of contention is determining the sign of y1, z1, y2, z2 when calculating Iyz. However, it is suggested to use a tabular form calculation instead of laborious calculations and to transfer the inertia back to the centroid of the angle. This eliminates the need to memorize tricks or determine the sign of certain values.
dbaliki918

Homework Statement

[/B]
Statement: Find the principal axes of the section shown:
ATIv6jH.png

The origin is on the top left corner.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Centroid equations:
aHUyIgs.png

kDNlmDV.png

Second moments of area:
NiXr9bt.png

Hw4vfCi.png

wuSfKn1.png

Mohr's Circle for I equations:
Coordinates
ktfPEuc.png

Centre
Awo2Bri.png

Angle from principal axes:
czIA2vx.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Finding the centroids:
WRcThjc.png

Finding Iy, Iz, and Iyz (Finding Iyz is where I'm having some difficulties):
cE8n6Ca.png

gohBb4z.png

THE PROFESSOR-PROVIDED SOLUTION FOR Iyz (I don't know how to determine whether or not y1, z1, y2, z2 are positive or negative) (My prof's answer was Iyz = -1.188×106mm4) Here is his provided solution:
9o4ouXM.png

I know where his values come from, I just need a surefire trick on determining the sign of y1, z1, y2, z2.

Mohr's Circle for I (I know I'm missing the axis labels. x-axis is Is, y-axis is Ist) Each point is multiplied by 10-6:
4eKkZzL.png

Centre:
hop1JJJ.png

Angle of Principal axes:
Op2UIe7.png

TL;DR Need a trick on determining the sign of y1, z1, y2, z2 from the Iyz equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
dbaliki918 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Finding the centroids:
WRcThjc.png

Finding Iy, Iz, and Iyz (Finding Iyz is where I'm having some difficulties):
cE8n6Ca.png

gohBb4z.png

THE PROFESSOR-PROVIDED SOLUTION FOR Iyz (I don't know how to determine whether or not y1, z1, y2, z2 are positive or negative) (My prof's answer was Iyz = -1.188×106mm4) Here is his provided solution:
9o4ouXM.png

I know where his values come from, I just need a surefire trick on determining the sign of y1, z1, y2, z2.

Need a trick on determining the sign of y1, z1, y2, z2 from the Iyz equation.

All of this laborious calculation can be replaced by a simple tabular form calculation as attached in CrossProduct.pdf below.

Your calculation of Iy and Iz values for the angle section is slightly incorrect. You must calculate the inertia for each leg of the angle about its own centroid and then transfer it to the y-axis or z-axis, before you transfer the inertia back to the centroid of the angle as a whole.

The cross product of inertia of each piece of the angle is zero about its own centroidal axes. The tabular form first calculates the Ayz transfer values for each piece to obtain the inertia about the y-z axes. Then, the centroidal location for the angle and the Iyz about the centroid are calculated below the table.

You don't need to worry about learning any tricks or memorizing what is positive and what is negative for the y-bar and z-bar values. :wink:

Attachments

• CrossProduct.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 515
Likes dbaliki918

1. What is the purpose of finding the principal axes of a section?

The principal axes of a section are important because they represent the directions of maximum and minimum moments of inertia. This information is crucial in understanding the structural properties and behavior of a section under different loading conditions.

2. How do you determine the principal axes of a section?

The principal axes of a section can be determined by using the moment of inertia equations and solving for the axes that result in the maximum and minimum values. This can be done manually or with the help of computer software.

3. What factors affect the location and orientation of the principal axes?

The location and orientation of the principal axes are influenced by the geometric properties of the section, such as its shape, size, and distribution of material. The loading conditions and boundary conditions also play a role in determining the location and orientation of the principal axes.

4. Can the principal axes of a section change under different loading conditions?

Yes, the principal axes of a section can change depending on the type and magnitude of loading applied to the section. For example, a section that is symmetric about one axis may have different principal axes when loaded in a different direction.

5. How are the principal axes used in structural analysis and design?

The principal axes are used in structural analysis and design to determine the maximum and minimum moments of inertia, which are crucial in calculating deflections, stresses, and other structural properties. They are also used to determine the most efficient orientation of a section in terms of resisting bending and torsional loads.