Find the probability of choosing exactly 4 red cards

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the difference between hypergeometric and binomial distributions, specifically in terms of replacement and no replacement. The question involves finding the probability of a specific sequence of red and black cards being drawn using the hypergeometric method. The experts provide a summary of the calculations and also mention using a tree diagram as another approach to solving the problem. However, they raise the issue of justifying that all possible sequences are equally likely.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached.
Relevant Equations
hypergeometric distribution
1647408447895.png

1647408478405.png

Find the question and solution here ( sorry its a bit blurred) ... given using the hypergeometric method...i wanted to understand what is the clear distinction between hypergeometric and binomial distribution? Could it be in in reference to no replacement and replacement...?

My approach on this question;
Let ##R## = red and ##B##= black.
##P_r(RRRRB)##= ##\dfrac {6}{20}##×##\dfrac {5}{19}##×##\dfrac {4}{18}##×##\dfrac {3}{17}##×##[5×####\dfrac {14}{16}]##=##0.0135## as required. Black can be arranged in ##5## different ways...cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
i wanted to understand what is the clear distinction between hypergeometric and binomial distribution? Could it be in in reference to no replacement and replacement...?
You can look these terms up. Binomial distribution assumes the same probability each time, which in this case means the number of red and black cards do not change, which means the card chosen each time must be replaced.
chwala said:
My approach on this question;
Let ##r## = red and ##b##= black.
##P(rrrrb)##= ##\frac {6}{20}##×##\frac {5}{19}##×##\frac {4}{18}##×##\frac {3}{17}##×##[5×####\frac {14}{16}]##=##0.0135## as required. Black can be arranged in ##5## different ways...cheers
Okay.

PeroK said:
You can look these terms up. Binomial distribution assumes the same probability each time, which in this case means the number of red and black cards do not change, which means the card chosen each time must be replaced.

Okay.
Ok Perok, looks like i have to dedicate time to go through the literature...Math is vast! A whole world by itself and not for the faint of hearts! :cool:

From my study we can also realize the required result by having,

##P_r[RRRRB]##=##\dfrac{5C4×15C2}{20C6}##=##0.0135## i.e by using symmetry...

I was looking at a similar question, i do not want to start a new thread as the questions are more or less the same...

consider this question;
1647438528733.png

Now i am trying to use the old school way :cool: in finding the solution, actually i am trying to use the tree diagram, now from my tree diagram below

1647439829343.png

I have the following ##3## possibilities;
##P[bbwwrr]## or ##P[wwrrbb]## or ##P[rrbbww]##.
it follows from my calculations that ##P[bbwwrr]##=##P[wwrrbb]##=##P[rrbbww]##.
i.e,
##P[bbwwrr]##=##\dfrac{5×4×10×9×15×14}{30×29×28×27×26×25}##=##\dfrac {1}{1131}##

Now from my reasoning, ##bb, ww## and ##rr## may be chosen each in ##2## ways thus giving us ##6##ways... Secondly, when considering say, ##P[bbwwrr]##, the first term can be chosen in ##1## way only and the rest can be chosen in ##5## ways therefore we shall have,
##P[bbwwrr]##=##\dfrac {1}{1131}##×##5##×##6##=##\dfrac {30}{1131}##
The required probability value is given by adding,
##P[bbwwrr]## + ##P[wwrrbb]## +##P[rrbbww]##=##\dfrac {90}{1131}##=##\dfrac {30}{377}##=##0.0795755968##

Last edited:
chwala said:
Now i am trying to use the old school way in finding the solution, actually i am trying to use the tree diagram, now from my tree diagram, i have the following possibilities;

##P[bbwwrr]## or ##P[wwrrbb]## or ##P[rrbbww]##,
it follows that ##P[bbwwrr]=P[wwrrbb]=P[rrbbww]## from my calculations...
i.e,
##P[bbwwrr]##=##\dfrac{5×4×10×9×15×14}{30×29×28×27×26×25}##
If you want to do it that way, you need to count all the different ways you can get two of each (in terms of the sequence the balls are drawn). You have ##bbrrww, brbrww, brrbww \dots##. So, a lot more than three ways. Moreover, that all of these are equally likely may need some justification.

1. How do you calculate the probability of choosing exactly 4 red cards?

The probability of choosing exactly 4 red cards can be calculated by dividing the number of ways to choose 4 red cards out of the total number of cards, by the total number of possible combinations of 4 cards from the deck. This can be represented by the formula: P(4 red cards) = (number of ways to choose 4 red cards) / (total number of possible combinations of 4 cards).

2. What is the total number of cards in the deck?

The total number of cards in the deck depends on the type of deck being used. A standard deck of playing cards has 52 cards, with 26 red cards and 26 black cards. However, a different deck, such as a tarot deck, may have a different number and distribution of red cards.

3. How many ways can you choose 4 cards from a deck?

The number of ways to choose 4 cards from a deck can be calculated using the combination formula, which is nCr = (n!)/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of cards in the deck and r is the number of cards being chosen. In this case, n = total number of cards in the deck and r = 4. So, the total number of ways to choose 4 cards from a deck is (n!)/(4!(n-4)!).

4. What is the probability of choosing 4 red cards if there are only 10 cards in the deck?

If there are only 10 cards in the deck, then the probability of choosing exactly 4 red cards would depend on the number of red cards in the deck. For example, if there are 5 red cards and 5 black cards, the probability would be (5 choose 4)/(10 choose 4) = 5/210 = 1/42. However, if there are only 2 red cards and 8 black cards, the probability would be (2 choose 4)/(10 choose 4) = 0, as it is impossible to choose 4 red cards from a deck with only 2 red cards.

5. Can the probability of choosing exactly 4 red cards be greater than 1?

No, the probability of choosing exactly 4 red cards cannot be greater than 1. This is because the probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, and it cannot be greater than 1 (or 100%). If the calculated probability is greater than 1, then there may be an error in the calculations.