Find the Speed of an Electron in the lab frame

In summary, by using the Lorentz coordinate transformations and rearranging the equations, the speed of the proton in the laboratory frame was found to be 0.42c relative to the electron. This was achieved by calculating the change in position and time for the proton relative to the laboratory frame and using these values in the velocity transformation equation.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An electron moves to the right with a speed of 0.90c in the laboratory frame. A proton moves to the left with a speed of 0.77c relative to the electron.

Using the Lorentz coordinate transformations, find the speed of the proton in the laboratory frame

Homework Equations

$$
\begin{align*}
x &= \frac{x'+ut'}{\sqrt(1-(u^2/c^2))} \\
y & = y \\
z & = z \\
t & = \frac{t'+(\frac{u}{c^2})x'}{\sqrt(1-(u^2/c^2))} \\

\end{align*}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the velocity transformation in the second part of the problem and found the speed of the proton to be 0.42c, but I'm not sure how to find it with the coordinate transforms.

I tried dividing x and t, but terms that I don't know remain and I can't get rid of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to derive the velocity transform from the coordinate transform and then use the velocity transform? That's how I would want to do it...

Geofleur said:
Are you allowed to derive the velocity transform from the coordinate transform and then use the velocity transform? That's how I would want to do it...
Haha, I don't think so cause that's exactly what I thought to do, the next part specifically says to use the velocity transformations to find the velocity and that they should be equal to the velocity I found in part A.

You know, I think you do some of the same steps as if you were deriving the velocity transform, but don't take the limit as ## \Delta t ## goes to zero. Then you can calculate ## \Delta x ## for the proton relative to the lab frame and ## \Delta x' ## for the proton relative to the electron, etc. Know what I mean?

Last edited:
Likes B3NR4Y
It might also help to arrange things so that the proton and the electron are both at the origin of the lab frame at t = t' = 0. Then instead of ## \Delta x ## and ## \Delta t ## you can just deal with ## x ## and ## t ##, for example.

Last edited:
Likes B3NR4Y
I think I see what you mean, I will try that.

Hm, it's not quite working or I'm doing something wrong. Not sure I see why I shouldn't divide by Δt, otherwise I don't get a velocity.

## \delta x = \frac{x_{f}' + ut_{f}'}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}} ## I tried this with some dummy numbers, like tf = 1s later, thus xf = -0.77 c.

Nevermind, it worked. I forgot to make xf negative. Thanks a LOT!

Yeah, you do need to divide by time to get a velocity, just not to take limits and all that (I edited my advice above a little!).

Likes B3NR4Y

1. What is the lab frame in the context of finding the speed of an electron?

The lab frame refers to the frame of reference in which the experiment is conducted. It is the stationary frame relative to which the speed of the electron is measured.

2. How is the speed of an electron in the lab frame calculated?

The speed of an electron in the lab frame is calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance traveled by the electron, and t is the time taken to travel that distance.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the speed measurement of an electron in the lab frame?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the speed measurement of an electron in the lab frame. These include instrumental error, human error, environmental conditions, and the precision of the measuring equipment used.

4. Can the speed of an electron in the lab frame be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of light (299,792,458 meters per second) is the maximum speed that any object, including an electron, can attain. Therefore, the speed of an electron in the lab frame cannot be greater than the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of an electron in the lab frame impact its behavior in an experiment?

The speed of an electron in the lab frame can impact its behavior in an experiment in various ways. For example, a higher speed may result in a greater kinetic energy, which can affect the electron's interactions with other particles and objects in the experiment. Additionally, the speed can also influence the likelihood of the electron being detected by the measuring equipment.