Find the Standard Matrix of T

In summary, to find the standard matrix of T, you can use the linearity of T to calculate T(e1), T(e2), and T(e3) and then use those values to build the standard matrix. To determine whether T is one to one, you can row reduce the augmented matrix and if there are no free variables, then T is one to one. To determine if T is onto, you can check if the columns of the standard matrix span R3.
x.x586

Homework Statement

Let T be a linear transformation from R3 to R3. Suppose T transforms (1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) to (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0) respectively.

Find the standard matrix of T and determine whether T is one to one and if T is onto

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know T(x) =Ax=[T(e1) ,T(e2,) T(e3)]

I thought A would just be the matrix with columns (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0), but then I realized that
(1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) are not the standard basis vectors for R3

My book doesn't give any examples where we don't start with the standard basis vectors

Should I have started by taking a 3x3 matrix entries [x1,x2,x3;x4,x5,x6] and multiply that by a 3x3 matrix with entries [1,1,0;1,0,1;0,1,1] and set that equal to a matrix with entries [1,0,3;1,1,4;1,3,0] and then got a system of equations from there by multiplying the left side out. And then set up an augmented matrix and used row reduction to find corresponding entries for A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the linearity of T, you can calculate T(e1), T(e2) and T(e3):

T(e1)+T(e2)=(1,1,1)
T(e1)+T(e3)=(0,1,3)
T(e2)+T(e3)=(3,4,0)

After that, you can build up A.

x.x586 said:

Homework Statement

Let T be a linear transformation from R3 to R3. Suppose T transforms (1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) to (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0) respectively.

Find the standard matrix of T and determine whether T is one to one and if T is onto

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know T(x) =Ax=[T(e1) ,T(e2,) T(e3)]

I thought A would just be the matrix with columns (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0), but then I realized that
(1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) are not the standard basis vectors for R3

My book doesn't give any examples where we don't start with the standard basis vectors

Should I have started by taking a 3x3 matrix entries [x1,x2,x3;x4,x5,x6] and multiply that by a 3x3 matrix with entries [1,1,0;1,0,1;0,1,1] and set that equal to a matrix with entries [1,0,3;1,1,4;1,3,0] and then got a system of equations from there by multiplying the left side out. And then set up an augmented matrix and used row reduction to find corresponding entries for A?
Yes, that'll work. You could also write ei as a linear combination of the given vectors, and then use the linearity of T to evaluate T(ei).

What is a standard matrix?

A standard matrix is a matrix that represents a linear transformation. It is used to translate geometric objects in a coordinate system, such as points, lines, and planes.

How do you find the standard matrix of a linear transformation?

To find the standard matrix of a linear transformation, you first need to identify the transformation's domain and range. Then, you can apply the transformation to the standard basis vectors and record the resulting coordinates in a matrix. This matrix is the standard matrix of the transformation.

What is the standard basis?

The standard basis refers to a set of vectors in a coordinate system that have a magnitude of 1 and point in the direction of each coordinate axis. In a 2-dimensional system, the standard basis is typically represented by the vectors [1, 0] and [0, 1], which point in the x and y directions, respectively.

Why is finding the standard matrix important in linear algebra?

Finding the standard matrix of a linear transformation allows us to perform operations on geometric objects in a coordinate system using matrix multiplication. This is a powerful tool in linear algebra, as it allows us to easily manipulate and analyze transformations without having to use complex geometric calculations.

Can the standard matrix of a linear transformation be determined using a different basis?

Yes, the standard matrix of a linear transformation can be determined using a different basis. This is known as a change of basis, where the standard basis vectors are replaced with other linearly independent vectors. The resulting standard matrix will be different, but it will still represent the same linear transformation.