Find the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit

In summary: Rx goes to zero. So now we have:Node 1: ##\frac{v1 - 15}{3000} + \frac{v1}{R_x} = 0##Node 2: ##\frac{v2 - v1}{2000} + 18\frac{v1}{R_x} + \frac{v2}{2000} = 0##Combine like terms on both sides of each equation and you have:Node 1: ##\frac{v1 - 15}{3000} - \frac{v1}{R_x} = 0##Node 2:
zr95

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-22_17-37-4.png

Homework Equations

Node Voltage Method
V=IR
upload_2016-9-22_17-43-0.png

The Attempt at a Solution

KCL at Node 1:
upload_2016-9-22_17-34-30.png

KCL at Node 2:
upload_2016-9-22_17-35-29.png

i is the current moving towards "a"

I've simplified the two equations down but the problem I run into is that normally I'm able to write a third equation to define i0. In this case there is no resistance. i0=v1/R but since R=0 this would be undefined. Where do I move from here?
[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-22_17-29-1.png
    upload_2016-9-22_17-29-1.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 429
  • upload_2016-9-22_17-35-9.png
    upload_2016-9-22_17-35-9.png
    890 bytes · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Get creative :smile:

Insert a "temporary" resistor in the ##i_0## path, call it ##R_x##. Solve the problem keeping ##R_x## as a variable. Then let ##R_x → 0~Ω##.

By the way, your KCL for node 2 doesn't make sense with the v1 and v2 being summed as currents. I think you missed dividing by a resistance value...

Last edited:
I need to eliminate v1 when I'm solving the system. How can I do this with having v1/Rx now being involved? I can't eliminate this term or combine it with the other v1. If I find a common denominator to combine it I can't eliminate that whole thing.

If I were to solve this using KVL and I made 3 loops the first loop would give me a value i1. That value i1 would be the current across the 3kohm resistor. i2 would be the current across the 2kohm resistor. Can I consider that part of the wire with i0 to be i1-i2? Or for the sake of my KCL equations (v1-15)/3k - (v2-v1)/2k = i0?

zr95 said:
I need to eliminate v1 when I'm solving the system. How can I do this with having v1/Rx now being involved? I can't eliminate this term or combine it with the other v1. If I find a common denominator to combine it I can't eliminate that whole thing.
Solve your v1 node equation for v1. Yes, it'll have both Rx and v2 variables in it. You'll substitute the whole lot into your v2 node equation to replace 'v1' there. Only after substitution will you let Rx go to zero.

zr95 said:
If I were to solve this using KVL and I made 3 loops the first loop would give me a value i1. That value i1 would be the current across the 3kohm resistor. i2 would be the current across the 2kohm resistor. Can I consider that part of the wire with i0 to be i1-i2? Or for the sake of my KCL equations (v1-15)/3k - (v2-v1)/2k = i0?
Yes, if you're using mesh currents. Mesh currents sum through shared paths (i.e. on the "borders" of the loops.

I decided just to solve using mesh currents. My professor's supposed easy way to solve it without having to solve for Vth then Isc apparently wasn't all that much easier for this problem.

zr95 said:
I decided just to solve using mesh currents. My professor's supposed easy way to solve it without having to solve for Vth then Isc apparently wasn't all that much easier for this problem.
I think that any way you approach this problem the algebra will not be pretty. The nodal analysis approach that I suggested works, but again the algebra will be a bit time consuming. If you show your complete solution I'll offer mine :smile:

upload_2016-9-25_14-0-12.png

My teacher mentioned in class the note I put in the top right corner which would make it easier to solve the whole thing in one go.

Your final result schematic showing a voltage Vth in series with Rth appears to have the sign of Vth reversed.

Using linear algebra techniques the problem can be solved in a compact manner using nodal analysis. Here's how it would be done if the wire carrying i0 is temporarily replaced with a resistor Rx. After the node voltages are found Rx is allowed to go to zero:

M1.png

The problem can also be solved with mesh analysis. The wire carrying i0 can be treated like a current source, so the 3 meshes form a supermesh:

M2.png

Okay, everyone's showing a solution and I did promise to show mine if the OP showed his. So here we go.

Insert ##R_x## in the ##i_o## path so that we can write node equation for node 1. Later we'll let this resistance go to zero. Also stick a load resistor ##R_L## on the output (across a-b). You'll see why in a bit.

upload_2016-9-25_17-43-57.png

Write the node equations:

Node 1:
##\frac{v1 - 15}{3000} + \frac{v1}{R_x} + \frac{v1 - v2}{2000} = 0##

and solving for v1: ##~~~~v1 = \frac{3}{5} (10 + v2) \frac{R_x}{R_x + 1200}##

Node 2:
##\frac{v2 - v1}{2000} + 18\frac{v1}{R_x} + \frac{v2}{2000} + \frac{v2}{R_L} = 0##

Factor out v1, then substitute for v1 from the node 1 equation. Hit the whole thing with the algebra hammer until v2 is isolated. When the smoke clears:

##v2 = \frac{30 (R_x - 36000) R_L}{(7 R_x R_L + 120000 R_L + 10000 R_x + 12000000)}##

Now it's time to let ##R_x## go to zero:

##v2 = \frac{-1080000 R_L}{12000000 + 120000 R_L}##

Now make this look like a voltage divider equation. For a Thevenin model with a load it will resemble:

##V_{out} = V_{th} \frac{R_L}{R_L + R_{th}}##

Thus we have:

##v2 = \frac{-1080000}{120000} \frac{R_L}{R_L + \frac{12000000}{120000}}##

##v2 = -9 \frac{R_L}{R_L + 100}##

So the Thevenin voltage is -9 V and the Thevenin resistance is 100 Ω.

1. What is the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is a simplified circuit that can be used to represent a more complex circuit, while maintaining the same voltage and current characteristics. It consists of a voltage source in series with a resistance, and is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit at a specific node or set of nodes.

2. Why is it important to find the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

Finding the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit allows for easier analysis and understanding of a complex circuit. It can also help in determining the behavior of a circuit when connected to different loads, as the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit remains the same regardless of the load.

3. How do you find the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

To find the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, you need to first identify the node or set of nodes that you want to analyze. Then, remove all the components connected to those nodes and calculate the equivalent resistance between them. This resistance is represented as the Thevenin resistance. Next, determine the open-circuit voltage between the nodes, which is represented as the Thevenin voltage. Finally, draw the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit with the Thevenin resistance in series with the Thevenin voltage.

4. What are the advantages of using the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

One of the main advantages of using the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is that it simplifies the analysis of a complex circuit. It also allows for easier calculations and predictions of circuit behavior when connected to different loads. Additionally, it can help in troubleshooting and identifying faulty components in a circuit.

5. Can the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit be used for any type of circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit can be used for linear circuits, which means that the voltage and current relationships in the circuit are linear. Non-linear circuits, such as those containing diodes or transistors, cannot be represented by a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit. Additionally, the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is most useful for circuits with multiple components and nodes, as it simplifies the analysis process.