Find the total sum of money shared by the three girls.

• MHB
  • Thread starter Johnx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money Sum
In summary: Re: How much each recievedIn summary, Kate received 24 dollars, Nora received x dollars more than Kate, and Devi received 2x dollars more than Kate. The total sum of money shared by the three girls is 3(24+x) or 90 dollars.
Johnx1
Kate, Nora, and Devi shared a sum of money. Kate received 24 dollars and Nora received x dollars more than Kate. Devi received 2x dollars more than kate

a) Find the sum of money shared in terms of x.

my answer: total = 24 + (x+24) + 2(24)b) Nora received $30. Find the total sum of money shared by the three girls.

my answer: 24 + 30 + 48 = 102

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: How much each recieved

Johnx said:
Kate, Nora, and Devi shared a sum of money. Kate received 24 dollars and Nora received x dollars more than Kate. Devi received 2x dollars more than kate

a) Find the sum of money shared in terms of x.

my answer: total = 24 + (x+24) + 2(24)

You've got Kat and Nora right, but Devi would receive 24 + 2x (that's 2x more than Kate). And so the sum \(S\) would be:

\(\displaystyle S=(24)+(24+x)+(24+2x)=72+3x=3(24+x)\)

Johnx said:
b) Nora received $30. Find the total sum of money shared by the three girls.

my answer: 24 + 30 + 48 = 102

If Nora received \$30, then to find \(x\), we may write:

\(\displaystyle 24+x=30\implies x=6\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle S=3(24+6)=90\)

Does that make sense?

MarkFL said:
Does that make sense?
Yes, I miss read the "more" part. Thanks :-)

Johnx said:
Yes, I miss read the "more" part. Thanks :-)

I just wanted to say, I'm really liking the way you title your threads usefully and show your work. (Yes)

1. How do I find the total sum of money shared by the three girls?

To find the total sum of money shared by the three girls, you need to add up the individual amounts of money that each girl has. This will give you the total amount of money shared.

2. What is the formula for finding the total sum of money shared by the three girls?

The formula for finding the total sum of money shared by the three girls is: Total sum = Amount of money Girl 1 has + Amount of money Girl 2 has + Amount of money Girl 3 has.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the total sum of money shared by the three girls?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the total sum of money shared by the three girls. This is especially helpful if the amounts of money are large or if there are many girls sharing the money.

4. What if the three girls have different currencies?

If the three girls have different currencies, you will need to convert the amounts of money into a common currency before adding them up to find the total sum. You can use a currency converter or manually calculate the conversion rate.

5. Is there a way to check if my calculation for the total sum of money shared by the three girls is correct?

Yes, you can double check your calculation by adding the individual amounts of money together again. If the total sum matches your first calculation, then your answer is correct.