Find the value of ## (ax){^\frac{2}{3}} + (by){^\frac{2}{3}}##

• Thread starter sahilmm15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the problem asks for the equation of a right angled triangle with the hypotenuse given by ##\sqrt{ (ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}} }##. After simplification, the equation becomes ##\sqrt{ (ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}} }\cdot [(ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}}]= a^2 - b^2##. Using values for ##cos\theta## and ##sin\theta## from a right angled triangle, we get
sahilmm15
Homework Statement
Given, if ##{\frac{ax}{cos\theta}} + {\frac{by}{sin\theta}} = a^2-b^2## and ##{\frac{axsin\theta}{cos^2\theta}} - {\frac{bycos\theta}{sin^2\theta}} = 0## find the value of ## (ax){^\frac{2}{3}} + (by){^\frac{2}{3}}##
Relevant Equations
N/A, can be done through general algebraic techniques.
I was trying this problem from some 2 hours but unable to crack it. I cannot proceed after few lines i.e$${\frac{axsin\theta}{cos^2\theta}} - {\frac{bycos\theta}{sin^2\theta}} = 0$$ $${\frac{axsin\theta}{cos^2\theta}} = {\frac{bycos\theta}{sin^2\theta}}$$ $${\frac{ax}{by}} ={\frac{cos^3\theta}{sin^3\theta}}$$ at last $$cot\theta = {\frac {ax^\frac{1}{3}} {by^\frac{1}{3}}}$$ This is all what I am able to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
From your work
[tex]by=ax\ tan^3\theta[/tex]
You can delete ##by## by it.

anuttarasammyak said:
From your work
[tex]by=ax\ tan^3\theta[/tex]
You can delete ##by## by it.
It is looking horrible.

sahilmm15 said:
It is looking horrible.
Too lengthy I guess, also note I didn't found use of the 1st equation, so maybe we can find something there.

This problem is fairly difficult as it was asked in JEE Advanced.

we mustn't have ##a## and ##b## in the result?

archaic said:
we mustn't have ##a## and ##b## in the result?
We can have ##a## and ##b##.

Try
[tex]\frac{ax}{cos\theta}+\frac{by}{sin\theta}=\frac{ax}{cos\theta}[1+\frac{\sin^2\theta}{cos^2\theta}]=...=a^2-b^2[/tex]
You will get ax as function of a, b and ##\theta##. Then
[tex](ax)^{2/3}+(by)^{2/3}=(ax)^{2/3}[ 1 + tan^2\theta]=...[/tex]

Likes Delta2
anuttarasammyak said:
Try
[tex]\frac{ax}{cos\theta}+\frac{by}{sin\theta}=\frac{ax}{cos\theta}[1+\frac{\sin^2\theta}{cos^2\theta}]=...=a^2-b^2[/tex]
You will get ax by function of a, b and ##\theta##. Then
[tex](ax)^{2/3}+(by)^{2/3}=(ax)^{2/3}[ 1 + tan^2\theta]=...[/tex]
I am close I guess, need to convert into latex which is another nightmare for me because am just a beginner.

sahilmm15 said:
We can have ##a## and ##b##.
ok, then, perhaps, if you put ##A=ax## and ##B=by##, the system will look cleaner and clearer.
$$(1):\,\left(\frac{1}{\cos\theta}\right)A+\left(\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\right)B=a^2-b^2$$$$(2):\,\left(\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos^2\theta}\right)A-\left(\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}\right)B=0$$
you can use the usual tricks to eliminate one of the variables.
for example, if you do ##(1)+\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}(2)##, you will get some expression in ##A## only.

After ##cot\theta = {\frac {ax^\frac{1}{3}} {by^\frac{1}{3}}}##, let us assume a right angled triangle. From ##cot\theta## we get the base as ## ax^\frac{1}{3} ## and perpendicular ## by^\frac{1}{3} ##. From Pythagoras theorem we get the hypotenuse as ## \sqrt{ (ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}} }##. Now we have $${\frac{ax}{cos\theta}} + {\frac{by}{sin\theta}} = a^2-b^2$$. We apply the values of ##cos\theta## and ##sin\theta## from the right angled triangle respectively. After simplification we get ## \sqrt{ (ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}} }\cdot [(ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}}]= a^2 - b^2##. Now we know that ##\sqrt{x}\cdot x=x^\frac{3}{2}.##. So $$ { [(ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}}]^{\frac{3}{2}} } = a^2-b^2$$. Hence we get $$(ax)^{\frac{2}{3}} + (by)^{\frac {2}{3}} = (a^2-b^2)^{\frac{2}{3}}$$ Difficult question but worth a try.

Likes anuttarasammyak
You choose the way to delete ##\theta## and I choose the way to delete ##by## to get the same result.

Likes sahilmm15

1. What is the equation for finding the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3}?

The equation for finding the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3} is a mathematical expression used to determine the sum of two variables raised to the power of 2/3.

2. How do you solve for the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3}?

To solve for the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3}, first substitute the given values for a, b, x, and y into the equation. Then, raise each variable to the power of 2/3 and simplify the resulting expression. Finally, add the two terms together to find the final value.

3. Can the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3} be negative?

Yes, the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3} can be negative if the values of a, b, x, and y are chosen in a way that results in a negative number when raised to the power of 2/3.

4. Is there a shortcut method for finding the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3}?

No, there is no shortcut method for finding the value of (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3}. The equation must be solved step by step by substituting values and simplifying the expression.

5. How is the equation for (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3} useful in science?

The equation for (ax){^2/3} + (by){^2/3} is useful in science for calculating the sum of two variables raised to a fractional power. This can be applied in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where fractional exponents are commonly used in equations and formulas.