Find the value of x for which the function is discontinuous

In summary, a discontinuous function is one that has a break or gap in its graph, making it not smooth or continuous at certain points. To determine the value of x for which a function is discontinuous, one must look for breaks or gaps in the graph. Multiple values of x can cause a function to be discontinuous. A discontinuous function differs from a continuous function in that it has breaks or gaps in its graph. There are three types of discontinuities in a function: removable, jump, and infinite.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
Attached below.
Relevant Equations
-
attempt.gif

Could someone confirm my answer please?

Attachments

• q6math.JPG
    q6math.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 121
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine.

Likes Fatima Hasan
Fatima Hasan said:
Homework Statement:: Attached below.
Relevant Equations:: -

View attachment 274358

Could someone confirm my answer please?
Confirmed.

Likes Fatima Hasan

Related to Find the value of x for which the function is discontinuous

1. What does it mean for a function to be discontinuous?

Discontinuous functions are those that have a break or gap in their graph, where there is no defined value for the function at that point.

2. How do I determine if a function is discontinuous?

To determine if a function is discontinuous, you can graph the function or use algebraic methods such as finding the limit at a specific point or checking for removable discontinuities.

3. Why is it important to find the value of x for which a function is discontinuous?

Knowing the value of x for which a function is discontinuous can help identify any potential issues or problems with the function, and can also provide insight into the behavior of the function.

4. Can a function have multiple points of discontinuity?

Yes, a function can have multiple points of discontinuity, where there are multiple gaps or breaks in the graph of the function.

5. How can I make a discontinuous function continuous?

To make a discontinuous function continuous, you can use techniques such as piecewise functions or adding a point to fill in the gap. However, it is important to note that this may change the behavior of the function.