Find the velocity of the electrons at the end of the plates

In summary, the distance between the two points is the opposite side of a right-angled triangle with the adjacent side having length L. You use tan theta ratio to find the opposite side.
oldspice1212
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble figuring this part out, so I've done most of this problem just can't figure out this part...so here is the question. (Sorry in advance as I don't know how to use LaTeX on here).
What is the distance Δy between the two points that you observe? Assume that the plates have length d, and use e and m for the charge and the mass of the electrons, respectively.

The diagram: http://puu.sh/bERqv/67e68b7551.png

I'm having a hard time figuring out delta y2, I figured out y1, as the electron is enters the electric field, using equations x = v0t and y = 1/2at^2 and using equation F = qE, I solved for a, and then solved for y1 = (qEx^2)/(2v0^2m)

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure exactly how to solve for y2, but I know the equations for constant velocity x = x0+vxt and same goes for y, so I eliminate t, and then I'm totally lost as to what to solve for/ vx and vy and finding the expression for the end of the plates.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oldspice1212 said:
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble figuring this part out, so I've done most of this problem just can't figure out this part...so here is the question. (Sorry in advance as I don't know how to use LaTeX on here).
What is the distance Δy between the two points that you observe? Assume that the plates have length d, and use e and m for the charge and the mass of the electrons, respectively.

The diagram: http://puu.sh/bERqv/67e68b7551.png
Oh you mean for a CRT.

I'm having a hard time figuring out delta y2, ...
Hint: look at the triangle.
How do you Δy2 is the opposite side of a right-angled triangle. The adjacent side has length L. How would you normally find the opposite side knowing the adjacent and the angle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using tan theta ratio, but how would you know the angle?

From the angle that the electron leaves the plates - what is the velocity vector of the electron?

As the electron enters the field, it follows a curved path.

I'm still unsure how exactly to get an expression for vx and vy of the electrons at the end of the plates? How would I go on to combine uniform motion and constant acceleration for between the plates?

(x-x0)/vx = (y-y0)/vy

vx, vy = (x-x0)*(vy)/(y-y0), and the same thing for vy but I have no idea how to relate this to the parallel plate...

Last edited:
I'm still unsure how exactly to get an expression for vx and vy of the electrons at the end of the plates? How would I go on to combine uniform motion and constant acceleration for between the plates?
How did you do this for ballistics?

I'm sorry, I don't remember, is it possible you can just show me how to do it, I have some sense as in t = 0 so I'll have x = vxt and y = vyt, but I have no idea at all how to go from there, I've tried many things and spent many hours...x=v0t, y = 1/2at^2, I tried something with this as well got no where. I just can't relate the terms as I did with the first part with this one.

Or if anything I could use a few more hints.

Last edited:
Do each component separately.
At t=0, you know the speed in the y direction and the speed in the x direction.
You also know the acceleration in the y direction and the acceleration in the x direction.
You know some kinematic equations.

If you are having trouble remembering how to do this, just look it up in your notes or online.
Keyword "ballistics".

I got it...all I needed was tan theta = vy/vx and was simple from there.

Related to Find the velocity of the electrons at the end of the plates

1. What is the equation for finding the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates?

The equation for finding the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates is v = sqrt(2qV/m), where v is the velocity, q is the charge of the electron, V is the voltage across the plates, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How does the voltage affect the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates?

The voltage has a direct impact on the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates. As the voltage increases, the velocity of the electrons also increases, following a square root relationship.

3. Can the mass of the electron affect its velocity at the end of the plates?

Yes, the mass of the electron does affect its velocity at the end of the plates. A higher mass would result in a lower velocity, while a lower mass would result in a higher velocity, assuming all other variables remain constant.

4. How does the distance between the plates impact the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates?

The distance between the plates does not directly affect the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates. However, it does impact the electric field between the plates, which in turn affects the acceleration of the electrons and thus their final velocity.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the velocity of electrons at the end of the plates, such as the material and surface properties of the plates, the external magnetic fields, and the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity.