Find the velocity of two carts after a head on elastic collision.

In summary, two carts of equal mass (15 Kg) have a head on elastic collision. The first cart has a velocity of 18.5 m/s to the right, and the second has a velocity of 12 m/s to the left. To solve for the velocities of the two carts after the collision, we can use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. Substituting the given values, we are left with two unknown variables and two equations. To solve, we can use the substitution method or elimination method. Remember to consider velocity as negative when directed to the left.
Interception

Homework Statement

Two carts of equal mass (15 Kg) have a head on elastic collision. The first cart has a velocity of 18.5 m/s to the right, and the second has a velocity of 12 m/s to the left. What are the velocities of the two carts after the collision?

Homework Equations

Since it is considered a fully elastic collision, we can assume the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy apply. So we have m(A)v(A) + m(B)v(B) = m(A)v*(A) + m(B)v*(B) and
1/2m(A)v^2(A) + 1/2m(B)v^2(B)=1/2m(A)v*^2(A) + 1/2m(B)v*^2(B)
Sorry for the sloppy input. I don't really know how to use the symbols right. It just looks like a lot of computer slang mumbo jumbo.

The Attempt at a Solution

- In class we went over using both equations to solve for each of the unknown variables. However, we only did one practice problem a week or two after we covered the unit so it didn't really stick. I'm good at math, so once I understand the process it's cake. I'm just trying to figure it out and could use some help on what method to take. If someone could help direct me I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yu have the equation. Just substitute the given values. But remember. Velocity should be - when directed to the left. :)

Interception: List your known parameters, fit it into your 2 equations. How many variables do you have left and how many equations?

Related to Find the velocity of two carts after a head on elastic collision.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that no energy is lost or converted into another form during the collision.

2. How is velocity calculated in a head on elastic collision?

In a head on elastic collision between two objects, the velocity of each object after the collision can be calculated using the equation: v1 - v2 = (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2) * u, where v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two objects after the collision, m1 and m2 are their respective masses, and u is the initial velocity of the two objects before the collision.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the two carts in an elastic collision?

The velocities of the two carts after an elastic collision are affected by the masses and initial velocities of the two objects. The greater the mass and initial velocity of an object, the greater its final velocity will be after the collision.

4. Can the velocity of the two carts be negative after an elastic collision?

Yes, the velocity of the two carts can be negative after an elastic collision. This indicates that the direction of the object's motion has changed after the collision. A negative velocity simply means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

5. Is there a limit to how fast the two carts can move after an elastic collision?

No, there is no limit to how fast the two carts can move after an elastic collision. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their initial velocities and masses, but there is no theoretical limit to how fast they can move.