Find this sum involving a polynomial root

In summary, x_{I} is a root of P(x) = ##x^{2019} +2019x - 1##. 2017 can be found by substituting x_{I} into the original equation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
if x_{I}, I = {1,2,...,2019} is a root of P(x) = ##x^{2019} +2019x - 1##

Find the value of ##\sum_{1}^{2019}\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{X_{I}}}##

I am really confused:
This polynomial jut have one root, and this root is x such that 0 < x < 1, so that each terms in the polynomial is negative. But the alternatives just give positive values.

This makes me think we need to consider the complex root of this. But i have no idea how to find them.
Maybe calling ##x = re^{i\theta}## give us:

##0 = r^{2019}e^{i2019\theta}+ 2019re^{i\theta} - 1##

?

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Would you know how to compute something like
$$\sum_I x_I$$
Or
$$\sum_ {I\neq J} x_I x_J$$?

Likes etotheipi and LCSphysicist
How about trying to solve simpler case:
[tex]x^2+2x-1=0[/tex]
[tex]x=\{x_1,x_2\}[/tex]
Calculate
[tex]\sum_{I=1}^{2}\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{x_I}}[/tex]
to get insight.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and LCSphysicist
Oh yeah, i forgot the Girard relations for polynomials :P
Now i get it, is 2017. THx

I got stuck at
$$
\sum_{i\in I}\dfrac{1}{1-\dfrac{1}{x_i}}=-\dfrac{1}{2019}\sum_{k=0}^{2018}\sum_{i\in I}x_i^k
$$
It is easy to see that the last sum is ##2019## for ##k=0## and ##0## for ##k=1##, but I have no idea how to add the sum for ##k>1##.

A more general problem, for integer ##N\geq 2##
[tex]x^N+Nx-1=\prod_{i=1}^N(x-x_i)[/tex]
By expansion
[tex]\prod_{i=1}^N (-x_i)=-1[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^N \prod_{j=1,\neq i}^N (-x_i)=N[/tex]
and
[tex]\sum_{1\leq i<j<...<k\leq N} x_i x_j ... x_k =0[/tex]
for from 1 to N-2 products.
[tex]S:=\sum_{i=1}^N\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{x_i}}=\sum_{i=1}^N\frac{-x_i}{1-x_i}=\{\prod_{i=1}^N (1-x_i)\}^{-1}\sum_{i=1}^N(-x_i) \prod_{j=1,j\neq i}^N (1-x_j)[/tex]
where
[tex]\prod_{i=1}^N (1-x_i)=1+N-1=N[/tex] and
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^N(-x_i) \prod_{j=1,j\neq i}^N (1-x_j)=N\prod_{i=1}^N (-x_i)+(N-1)\sum_{i=1}^N \prod_{j=1,\neq i}^N (-x_i)=-N+N(N-1)=N(N-2)[/tex]
So
##S=N-2##.

Last edited:
Fresh, you can actually solve that using this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_identities

To give an elementary example,
$$x_1^2+x_2^2 = (x_1+x_2)^2 - 2x_1x_2$$.

I wouldn't do it that way. Instead I would make some substitutions to turn the sum into something easier to compute, and get a new polynomial.

As a simple example, to compute ##1/x_1+ 1/x_2## for the polynomial $$x^2+x+3$$, you can make the substitution ##y=1/x## and you want to compute the sum of the roots of $$1/y^2 +1/y +3$$. Multiplying by ##y^2## gives you a new polynomial with the same roots since 0 is not a root of the new polynomial.

I didn't get 2017, but it's possible I made an algebra mistake.

Office_Shredder said:
Fresh, you can actually solve that using this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_identities

To give an elementary example,
$$x_1^2+x_2^2 = (x_1+x_2)^2 - 2x_1x_2$$.

I wouldn't do it that way. Instead I would make some substitutions to turn the sum into something easier to compute, and get a new polynomial.

As a simple example, to compute ##1/x_1+ 1/x_2## for the polynomial $$x^2+x+3$$, you can make the substitution ##y=1/x## and you want to compute the sum of the roots of $$1/y^2 +1/y +3$$. Multiplying by ##y^2## gives you a new polynomial with the same roots since 0 is not a root of the new polynomial.

I didn't get 2017, but it's possible I made an algebra mistake.
Using your substitution method I get 2017.

1. What is a polynomial root?

A polynomial root is a value that, when substituted into a polynomial equation, makes the equation equal to zero. In other words, it is a value that satisfies the equation and lies on the x-axis when graphed.

2. How do I find the sum involving a polynomial root?

To find the sum involving a polynomial root, you can use the polynomial root theorem, which states that the sum of the roots of a polynomial is equal to the negative of the coefficient of the second highest degree term divided by the coefficient of the highest degree term. You can also use the quadratic formula for polynomials with a degree of 2, or use synthetic division to find the roots and then add them together.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one root?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple roots. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots, taking into account multiplicity. This means that a polynomial can have multiple roots with the same value.

4. What is the significance of finding the sum involving a polynomial root?

Finding the sum involving a polynomial root can provide important information about the polynomial, such as the total number of roots and the coefficients of the polynomial. It can also help in solving polynomial equations and understanding the behavior of the polynomial when graphed.

5. Can I use the sum of polynomial roots to find the polynomial itself?

No, the sum of polynomial roots alone cannot be used to find the polynomial. However, it can be used in conjunction with other information, such as the product of the roots, to determine the polynomial through factoring or other methods.