Find TM waves mode in a rectangular waveguide

In summary, to determine the cutoff frequency for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide, use the formula f<sub>c</sub> = (c/2a)(√(m<sup>2</sup>+n<sup>2</sup>)). The difference between a TE and TM mode is the direction of their respective electric and magnetic fields. To find the electric field distribution for a TM mode, use the formula E<sub>z</sub> = (mπ/ab)cos(mπx/a)sin(nπy/b). A rectangular waveguide can support multiple TM modes, with the number depending on its dimensions and operating frequency. The characteristic impedance for a TM mode can be found using the formula
baby_1

Homework Statement

5538343900_1420641051.jpg

Homework Equations

%5Cpi%20x%29Sin%2840n%5Cpi%20y%29Cos%282%5Cpi*10%5E%7B10%7Dt-%5Cbeta%20z%29%3D%3Em%3D5%2Cn%3D2.5.gif
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Hello
As you see my solution I found TM(5 , 2.5) that is incorrect because n should be integer not float number.In Addition when I check book solution I found TM mode is TM(2,1)
what is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi baby_1,

Have you checked the errata for the edition of the book you are using. Seems to me there is a typo in their problem statement (which doesn't even tell you what units to use for the coordinates [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. What textbook is this from?

Cheers,
Gabba

1. How do I determine the cutoff frequency for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide?

The cutoff frequency for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide can be determined by using the formula fc = (c/2a)(√(m2+n2)), where c is the speed of light, a is the width of the waveguide, and m and n are integers representing the mode number.

2. What is the difference between a TE mode and a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide?

In a rectangular waveguide, a TE (Transverse Electric) mode has an electric field that is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while a TM (Transverse Magnetic) mode has a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

3. How do I find the electric field distribution for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide?

The electric field distribution for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide can be found by using the formula Ez = (mπ/ab)cos(mπx/a)sin(nπy/b), where a and b are the dimensions of the waveguide, and m and n are the mode numbers.

4. Can a rectangular waveguide support multiple TM modes simultaneously?

Yes, a rectangular waveguide can support multiple TM modes simultaneously. The number of modes that can be supported depends on the dimensions of the waveguide and the operating frequency.

5. How do I determine the characteristic impedance for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide?

The characteristic impedance for a TM mode in a rectangular waveguide can be determined by using the formula Zc = (120π)/√(1-(fc/f)2), where f is the operating frequency and fc is the cutoff frequency for the mode.