Find Velocity and Time from an Acceleration vs Time Graph

In summary, the rocket car is subjected to a constant acceleration of Ac = 6 m/s^2 until T1 = 15 s. The brakes are then applied which causes a deceleration at the rate shown until the car stops. The maximum speed of the car is 90 m/s and the car stops at the instant the brakes are applied.
CGI

Homework Statement

The rocket car is subjected to a constant acceleration of Ac = 6 m/s^2 until T1 = 15 s.
The brakes are then applied which causes a deceleration at the rate shown until the car stops. Determine the maximum speed of the car and the time T when the car stops.

Homework Equations

Area of Rectangle = L x W
Area of a Triangle = 1/2(b)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the area under the curve for an acceleration vs time graph would represent the velocity, but without having what the final time T was or what the final acceleration was, I'm not sure how to go about it. I know that at 15 seconds, the velocity is 90 m/s and that's about it.

IMG_0825.JPG

Any help would really be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about the first part of the question: getting the maximum speed? If so, at what time does maximum speed occur? Before the brakes are applied, after the brakes are applied, or at the instant the brakes are applied?

I would say before the brakes, so that must mean that the 90 m/s IS the maximum speed that car attains.

Is that correct?

Yes, the car is picking up speed all the way until the brakes are applied. So, maximum speed occurs at t = 15 s.

Okay that just leaves me with finding the time at which it stops. So that means the velocity should equal zero which means that the area of the triangle should also be equal to 90 which I think might help, how exactly would I go about finding the time?

CGI said:
So that means the velocity should equal zero which means that the area of the triangle should also be equal to 90
Good!
how exactly would I go about finding the time?
Note the little triangle with sides of ratio 1 to 2.

Oh I forgot to ask about that! Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure about what that means..

CGI said:
Oh I forgot to ask about that! Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure about what that means..
It allows you to get the slope of this part of the acceleration graph.

Okay, so the slope is rise over run, which would mean that the slope here is 1/2 right? But I'm not sure how I would use that to get the time :confused:

Try to write an expression for the area of the triangle of the graph in terms of the time interval Δt (between t1 and t).

Hmmm.. it seems like the only thing I can think of is the integral from t1 to t of the area of the triangle is equal to the velocity. Is that in the right direction?

CGI said:
Hmmm.. it seems like the only thing I can think of is the integral from t1 to t of the area of the triangle is equal to the velocity. Is that in the right direction?
Yes. And the integral is just the area of the triangle. You are ultimately looking for the base of that triangle. Can you express the height of the triangle in terms of the base? You can use similar triangles with one triangle being the little triangle with sides 1 and 2.

Would the height just be equal to half the base?

Yes.

Okay, so the integral would be:

90 = integral of b^2/4dt from 15 to t? Which becomes b^3/12t?

CGI said:
Okay, so the integral would be:

90 = integral of b^2/4dt from 15 to t? Which becomes b^3/12t?

b^2/4dt is the integral (i.e., the area of the triangle).

Okay so something more like this?

90 = (t^2 - 225)/4 in which case, t = 24.2?

I should have said that b2/4 is the area (instead of b2/4 dt). You know what this area must equal. So, what do you get for the base b?

I get 18.97 for the b. Which would be the answer for t right?

I agree with your answer for b (assuming you're still using the second as a unit of time). But I don't agree with your answer for the instant of time t when the car comes to rest.

Wait! But that's just the base of the triangle..
Wouldn't t be the 15 + 18.97?

Yes. Don't forget the units.

Wow! Thank you so much! I don't understand why that took me so long, but I appreciate all the help today!

OK. Good work.

1. What is an acceleration vs time graph?

An acceleration vs time graph is a visual representation of how an object's acceleration changes over time. It plots the acceleration on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration at any given point in time.

2. How do I find the velocity from an acceleration vs time graph?

To find the velocity from an acceleration vs time graph, you can use the area under the graph. The area under the graph between two points represents the change in velocity between those two points. If the graph is a straight line, you can simply use the slope to find the velocity.

3. Can I find the time from an acceleration vs time graph?

Yes, you can find the time from an acceleration vs time graph. If the graph is a straight line, you can use the slope to find the time. If the graph is not a straight line, you can use the area under the graph between two points to find the time.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be found by calculating the slope of a line on the graph, while instantaneous acceleration can be found by drawing a tangent line to the curve at a specific point.

5. How does the shape of an acceleration vs time graph relate to an object's motion?

The shape of an acceleration vs time graph can tell us a lot about an object's motion. If the graph is a straight line, the object is moving at a constant acceleration. If the graph is a curve, the object's acceleration is changing over time. The direction of the slope can also tell us the direction of the object's motion.