Finding a formula for the following summation

In summary, the conversation addresses the use of Google to find a relevant formula for a sum, how to come up with a general formula for all n, and different approaches to terminating the sum. The speaker also mentions difficulty in coming up with a proper hypothesis.
rxh140630
Homework Statement
[itex] n^2 + (n-2)^2 + (n-4)^2...[/itex]
where n is a natural number
Relevant Equations
none
Physics news on Phys.org
When are you going to terminate the sum?

PeroK said:
When are you going to terminate the sum?

The sum terminating depends on n. I don't know how to come up with a general formula for all n though

rxh140630 said:
The sum terminating depends on n. I don't know how to come up with a general formula for all n though
You mean you stop before the terms get negative.

PeroK said:
Yes. I'm assuming you're hinting at induction but the trouble is I can't think of a proper hypothesis in the first place..

rxh140630 said:
Yes. I'm assuming you're hinting at induction but the trouble is I can't think of a proper hypothesis in the first place..
I haven't thought about it. From what you say, you want either:
$$1 + 9 + 25 + \dots + (2k+1)^2$$
Or
$$4 + 16 + \dots + (2k)^2$$

Likes rxh140630
PeroK said:
None of the terms will be negative, since they are squared quantities. I'm sure you meant something more like stopping before n - 2k gets negative.

1. What is a formula for a summation?

A formula for a summation is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is used to calculate the total value of a sequence of numbers.

2. How do you find a formula for a summation?

To find a formula for a summation, you need to identify the pattern or rule behind the series of numbers. This can involve looking at the differences between terms, finding a common ratio, or using other mathematical techniques.

3. Can a formula for a summation be used to find the sum of an infinite series?

Yes, a formula for a summation can be used to find the sum of an infinite series as long as the series has a finite limit or converges. In some cases, the formula may involve limits or other mathematical concepts.

4. Are there different types of formulas for summations?

Yes, there are different types of formulas for summations depending on the type of series being summed. Some common types include arithmetic series, geometric series, and binomial series.

5. How can finding a formula for a summation be useful?

Finding a formula for a summation can be useful in many ways. It can help in simplifying calculations, making predictions, and understanding patterns in data. It can also be used in various fields such as finance, physics, and computer science.