Solve the equation: ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##
Relevant Equations
trigonometry
I saw this link; is the approach here correct?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tan+x+tan+4x+=+1&oq=&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgAECMYJxjqAjIJCAAQIxgnGOoCMgkIARAjGCcY6gIyCQgCECMYJxjqAjIJCAMQIxgnGOoCMgkIBBAjGCcY6gIyCQgFECMYJxjqAjIJCAYQIxgnGOoCMgkIBxAjGCcY6gLSAQkyNTc3ajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:7ceabfd6,vid:F4aNmm2QblY,st:0In my approach, i worked with:

##\cos 4x ⋅\cos x - \sin4 x⋅\sin x=0##

##\cos(4x + x)=0##

##\cos 5x = 0##

From here the solutions are determined easily...

cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This method has the advantage of not knowingly dividing by zero, which [tex]
\tan (5x) = \frac{\tan x + \tan 4x}{1 - \tan x \tan 4x}[/tex] suffers from.

Likes WWGD and chwala
I propose to write tan x= cot 4x because x cannot be 0. Then one will get:
3x=k Pi
where k integer positive or negative

bamboum said:
I propose to write tan x= cot 4x because x cannot be 0. Then one will get:
3x=k Pi
where k integer positive or negative
You have skipped a lot of steps going from ##\tan(x) = \cot(4x)## to ##3x = k\pi##. How do you justify this large leap?

Others solutions are related to x close to 0. Then tan x is x+1/3x^3. One obtains 4x^2+8/3x^4=1 giving x=0.218 or -0.218. If Taylor's serie is greatest in order perhaps one will get x close to 0.3

Last edited:

1. How do I solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

To solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##, we first need to rewrite it in terms of trigonometric functions. Using the identity ##\tan A \cdot \tan B = 1##, we get ##\tan x = \cot 4x##. This means that ##x = \frac{\pi}{2} + 4k\pi##, where k is an integer.

2. What is the general solution to the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

The general solution to the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1## is ##x = \frac{\pi}{2} + 4k\pi##, where k is an integer. This accounts for all possible solutions to the equation.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

There are no restrictions on the values of x in the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##. The general solution ##x = \frac{\pi}{2} + 4k\pi## covers all possible values of x that satisfy the equation.

4. How can I verify if a specific value of x satisfies the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

To verify if a specific value of x satisfies the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##, simply substitute the value of x into the equation and check if both sides are equal. If they are equal, then the value of x satisfies the equation.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

While you can use a calculator to check your solutions, it's important to understand the underlying trigonometric principles involved in solving the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##. Calculators can help verify your answers, but knowing how to derive the solutions is crucial for a deeper understanding of the problem.