Finding a matrix, given one eigenvalue

In summary: Sure. But a matrix can have only one eigenvalue and not be diagonalizable. That's not the case here. You just have to say why. That's all.
vellum93

Homework Statement

Suppose B is a real 2x2 matrix with the following eigenvalue:

[itex]\frac{√3}{2} + \frac{3i}{2}. [/itex]

Find B[itex]^3[/itex].

Homework Equations

One of the hints is to consider diagonalization over C together with the fact
that [itex](\frac{1}{2} + \frac{√3}{2}i)^3 = -1[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I found B by going backwards through the quadratic formula, and found B =[itex]
\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 3\\-1 & √3\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

How can I do this without the method I used? How can I apply the hint given above?

Physics news on Phys.org
vellum93 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose B is a real 2x2 matrix with the following eigenvalue:

[itex]\frac{√3}{2} + \frac{3i}{2}. [/itex]

Find B[itex]^3[/itex].

Homework Equations

One of the hints is to consider diagonalization over C together with the fact
that [itex](\frac{1}{2} + \frac{√3}{2}i)^3 = -1[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I found B by going backwards through the quadratic formula, and found B =[itex]
\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 3\\-1 & √3\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

How can I do this without the method I used? How can I apply the hint given above?

What your hint is telling you is that 1/2 + √3i/2 is a cube root of -1. Obviously, one cube root is -1. The third cube root is the complex conjugate of the one you have. Use it as another eigenvalue to get a second eigenvector.

I am confused by fact that the given eigenvalue is [itex]\sqrt{3}/2+ 3i/2[/itex], NOT [itex]1/2+ \sqrt{3}i/2[/itex].

My guess is that there's a typo, and the the given eigenvalue should be 1/2 + √3i/2, which actually is a cube root of -1.

Mark44 said:
My guess is that there's a typo, and the the given eigenvalue should be 1/2 + √3i/2, which actually is a cube root of -1.

I would guess it means what it says, so one eigenvalue is sqrt(3) times a cube root of -1. They have a cube root of -1 correct in the hint. Since you know what the other eigenvalue must be it's pretty easy to find B^3 when you consider the diagonalization.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Does this mean then that B^3 has eigenvalues that are equal to -3√3? I just cubed the eigenvalues for B after factoring out a √3.

vellum93 said:
Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Does this mean then that B^3 has eigenvalues that are equal to -3√3? I just cubed the eigenvalues for B after factoring out a √3.

B^3 for sure has one eigenvalue that -3√3. But that's not the question. The question is what is the matrix of B^3. There's a little bit more to do.

The other eigenvalue is the same isn't it? So there's only one distinct eigenvalue? For the matrix B^3, I put the eigenvalues on the diagonal and then 0's in the other two spots.

vellum93 said:
The other eigenvalue is the same isn't it? So there's only one distinct eigenvalue? For the matrix B^3, I put the eigenvalues on the diagonal and then 0's in the other two spots.

Sure. But a matrix can have only one eigenvalue and not be diagonalizable. That's not the case here. You just have to say why. That's all.

Related to Finding a matrix, given one eigenvalue

1. How do I find a matrix given one eigenvalue?

The easiest way to find a matrix given one eigenvalue is to use the eigenvalue-eigenvector equation. This equation states that if v is an eigenvector of a matrix A with eigenvalue λ, then Av = λv. This means that if you know the eigenvalue and an eigenvector, you can construct the matrix by placing the eigenvector as a column and multiplying it by the eigenvalue.

2. What if I don't have an eigenvector?

If you don't have an eigenvector, you can still find the matrix using the eigenvalue-eigenvector equation. First, you will need to find the null space of the matrix A-λI, where I is the identity matrix. The null space will give you the eigenvectors associated with the given eigenvalue. Then, you can construct the matrix using the same method as mentioned in the first question.

3. Can I find more than one matrix with the same eigenvalue?

Yes, it is possible to find multiple matrices with the same eigenvalue. This is because the eigenvalue-eigenvector equation only gives you one possible matrix, but there can be infinitely many matrices with the same eigenvalue. To find different matrices, you can use different eigenvectors or change the values of other elements in the matrix.

4. Is there a specific method for finding a matrix with complex eigenvalues?

Yes, the method for finding a matrix with complex eigenvalues is the same as finding a matrix with real eigenvalues. However, you will need to use complex eigenvectors and make sure to use the conjugate of the eigenvalue when constructing the matrix. It is also important to keep track of the real and imaginary parts of the eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

5. What other methods can I use to find a matrix with a given eigenvalue?

There are other methods you can use to find a matrix with a given eigenvalue, such as using diagonalization or the characteristic polynomial. Diagonalization involves finding a matrix P such that PAP^-1 is a diagonal matrix, with the eigenvalues on the diagonal. The characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation used to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, which can then be used to construct the matrix.