Finding a Mentor for High School Research Project on Clothing and Behavior

In summary, a high school student is looking for advice on how to start and complete a project on behavior towards people dressed in different clothes. There is a lot of research that has been and is being done in that field, but the student is worried about being presumptuous. Suggestions for starting the project and finding a mentor are given.
EndlessTime
I'm a high school student and I recently thought of a really cool study on behavior towards people dressed in different clothes - there's a little more to it than that but I don't know if you need that for this question. Anyway since I'm in high school I've never researched or done a project like this before and I was wondering where I could get a mentor or someone to look over the project with me. Also do you think it might be a little to presumptuous to want to do this project and want to publish the results?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of research that has been and is being done in that field. Like all research your project needs to begin with a literature review so that you understand what's been done and what you are doing that is unique. Of course, don't let any of that discourage you. Being in high school there is value in doing an experiment even if it's been done before.

You may want to try emailing some professors at a local community college in the sociology department and tell them that you have an idea and you're looking for a mentor.

Choppy said:
There is a lot of research that has been and is being done in that field. Like all research your project needs to begin with a literature review so that you understand what's been done and what you are doing that is unique. Of course, don't let any of that discourage you. Being in high school there is value in doing an experiment even if it's been done before.

You may want to try emailing some professors at a local community college in the sociology department and tell them that you have an idea and you're looking for a mentor.

Thank you very much! I understood to some decree when I decided to do this that its probably already been done before. However I felt like it would be a fun experiment to try out; just to see the results. Thank you again for your answer - I wasn't sure what department I should look into when looking for a professor - and advice.

It's great that you have such a strong interest in science already in high school. Good for you.

Here is a great place for you to publish your research:

http://www.societyforscience.org/isef/

It's the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF). It's kind of the pinnacle of Science Fairs. Check out the info, and see if there are any resources in your area that you can utilize. Perhaps it is also a good way to find a mentor -- they should give you some tips about that at the ISEF website.

Are there any sociology/anthropology/psychology elective classes at your high school? If so, you might ask a teacher from one of those classes. Or, as Choppy says, a community college professor might be willing to mentor you.

If you want to publish, yeah, you'd need to do a literature review, but I really wouldn't expect to discover anything worth publishing in a first experiment as a high school student. Even grad students and PhDs struggle to get published sometimes, so unless you can find a magazine/journal/website geared towards high school or student research I'd say don't get your hopes up too high. If you just want to do a study for fun, that might not be necessary, although it might help you think about how to design the experiment. Be sure also to check into ethical guidelines for human studies--informed consent on the behalf of the participants, etc.

It's great that you're thinking about research! Best of luck!

Related to Finding a Mentor for High School Research Project on Clothing and Behavior

1. What is independent research?

Independent research refers to scientific investigations or experiments conducted by an individual without the direct supervision of a professor or mentor. It involves formulating a research question, designing a study, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. What is the role of a mentor in independent research?

A mentor plays a critical role in independent research by providing guidance, support, and expertise to the researcher. They help in developing research ideas, designing experiments, troubleshooting problems, and interpreting results. A mentor also helps with networking and connecting the researcher to other experts in the field.

3. How do I find a mentor for my independent research?

Finding a mentor for independent research can be done by networking with professors in your field of interest, attending conferences or seminars, reaching out to graduate students or post-docs, or joining research groups or clubs. It is important to find a mentor who is knowledgeable about your research topic and has a good track record of mentoring students.

4. What are the benefits of conducting independent research with a mentor?

Conducting independent research with a mentor has several benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in the research process, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, building a professional network, and improving your chances of being accepted into graduate programs or obtaining research positions.

5. How do I ensure a successful independent research experience with a mentor?

To have a successful independent research experience with a mentor, it is essential to have clear communication and expectations from the beginning. Establish a regular meeting schedule, set specific goals and timelines, and communicate any challenges or concerns. It is also important to be proactive, take initiative, and be open to feedback and suggestions from your mentor.