Finding a numerical value for a partial differential

In summary, the conversation discusses a function Z = f(P,T) and the desire to calculate partial differentials \left ( \frac{\partial Z}{\partial P} \right )_T and \left ( \frac{\partial Z}{\partial T} \right )_P at specific values of P and T. The function Z is compressibility factor and the equation for Z is large, involving reduced pressures and temperatures. The solution procedure involves solving for a pseudo-variable and using other relations and definitions to find Z. The question is whether v_r can be treated as a constant when taking derivatives manually and how to calculate the numerical value of \left ( \frac{\partial Z}{\partial P} \right )_
NEGATIVE_40
I have a function [tex] Z = f(P,T) [/tex]
and would like to calculate the partial differentials [tex] \left ( \frac{\partial Z}{\partial P} \right )_T [/tex] and [tex] \left ( \frac{\partial Z}{\partial T} \right )_P [/tex] at values of P and T.

The function Z is compressibility factor (Lee and Kessler equation of state), P and T refer to pressure and temperature. The equation for Z is quite large;
[tex] Z = \frac{P_rv_r}{T_r} = 1 + \frac{B}{v_r} + \frac{C}{v_r^2} + \frac{D}{v_r^5}+\frac{c_4}{T_r^3v_r^2}\left ( \beta +\frac{\gamma}{v_r^2} \right )\exp\left ( -\frac{\gamma}{v_r^2} \right ) [/tex]
T_r and P_r refer to reduced pressures and temperatures:
[tex] T_r = \frac{T}{T_c},~~P_r = \frac{P}{P_c} [/tex] Other variables are constants and other expressions with T_r and P_r in them.

The solution procedure is a bit weird, but the gist of it is you solve the right hand side of the Z equality for v_r (which is pseudo variable);
[tex] \frac{P_rv_r}{T_r} = 1 + \frac{B}{v_r} + \frac{C}{v_r^2} + \frac{D}{v_r^5}+\frac{c_4}{T_r^3v_r^2}\left ( \beta +\frac{\gamma}{v_r^2} \right )\exp\left ( -\frac{\gamma}{v_r^2} \right ) [/tex]
then use some other relations and definitions to find Z. I have this part working correctly.

Although the expression for Z is long, I can find the derivatives manually.

Now, my question is this: can I treat v_r as being a constant when I take these derivatives manually? The value of v_r depends on both P and T when I am solving for it, so I'm not sure that I can.

Finally, if I do figure this out, how would I calculate the numerical value of:
[tex] \left ( \frac{\partial Z}{\partial P} \right )_T [/tex]
Since we are holding T constant, would it be equivalent to
[tex]\frac{\partial Z}{\partial P} [/tex] , treating T as constant when taking the derivatives?

Hopefully this makes sense, and my apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if I've understood you correctly, you have introduced a pseudo-variable v_r=v_r(p,T), so that your expression for Z may be rewritten as Z=Z(v_r(P,T), P,T).
Am I correct?

Written like this, a fixed P, and differentiation of Z with respect to T will need to account for TWO effects, the change in Z as the result of change in V_r, plus the "direct" contribution in the change of Z due to T.

To take a trivial example, set Z=v_r+P+T, v_r=P+2T, you'll see you need BOTH contributions to the total change in Z.

What I would suggest would be to write:
[tex]v_r=\frac{ZT_r}{P_r}[/tex]
[tex]dv_r=\frac{T_r}{P_r}dZ+\frac{Z}{P_r}dT_r-\frac{ZT_r}{P_r^2}dP_r[/tex]

So, [itex]dZ = (-\frac{B}{v_r^2}-2\frac{C}{v_r^3}+...)dv_r[/itex]+ dTr term

Substitute the second equation into this one, and solve for dZ as a function of dPr and dTr.

What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

Why is it important to find a numerical value for a partial differential?

Finding a numerical value for a partial differential allows us to solve the PDE and obtain a solution that can be used to make predictions or analyze a system. It is an essential step in understanding and modeling complex physical systems.

How do you find a numerical value for a partial differential?

There are various methods for finding a numerical value for a partial differential, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the PDE and solving the resulting system of algebraic equations.

What challenges are associated with finding a numerical value for a partial differential?

One of the main challenges is dealing with the high dimensionality of the problem, which can result in large systems of equations that are computationally expensive to solve. Additionally, the choice of numerical method and discretization scheme can significantly impact the accuracy and stability of the solution.

Can you solve any PDE by finding a numerical value for it?

No, not all PDEs can be solved using numerical methods. Some PDEs may have no analytical solution or may require specialized techniques that are not feasible to implement numerically. It is important to carefully consider the properties of a PDE before attempting to find a numerical solution.