Finding acceleration from a position vs. time

In summary, to find the acceleration between t=0 and t=4 for an object moving in a straight line with constant acceleration, you can take the derivative of the displacement vs. time graph to get the velocity graph, and then take the derivative of the velocity graph to get the acceleration graph. Since the displacement graph is quadratic, the second derivative (acceleration) will be a constant. Thus, you can find the acceleration by taking the difference in velocity at any two points and dividing by the time interval.
Detinator10

Homework Statement

Given the following graph of displacement vs time for an object moving in a straight line (assume const accel):
Find the acceleration between t=0 and t=4

Homework Equations

A= ((vi-vf)/2)/time

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried find the area of t=0 to t=4 in order to convert to velocity and then to acceleration. However, the problem is I don't know how to find the area because the graph is curved. I tried getting the area above the line and subtracting it from the total area of t=0 to t=4. This didn't work because I can't find the area of the hypothetical circle of which the area above the line would be a fraction of. Thanks

P.S. I know there are other questions that ask the same thing but they are either irrelevant to my particular question or went unanswered[/B]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given displacement vs. time, the derivative at a point will give you the velocity. Taking a derivative of the velocity graph gives you the acceleration.

Since the displacement graph is roughly quadratic on [0, 4] the second derivative will be a constant.

Thus you can find the instantaneous velocity at any two points, take their difference, and divide by time to get the acceleration.

Related to Finding acceleration from a position vs. time

What is acceleration and how is it different from velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. While velocity measures the speed and direction of an object's motion, acceleration measures how quickly that velocity is changing.

How is acceleration calculated from a position vs. time graph?

Acceleration can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on a position vs. time graph. This slope represents the change in velocity over time, which is the definition of acceleration.

What do different shapes of a position vs. time graph indicate about acceleration?

If the line on a position vs. time graph is a straight line, it indicates a constant acceleration. A curved line, on the other hand, indicates a changing acceleration. For example, a parabolic curve represents a constant acceleration.

How does the direction of the position vs. time graph affect acceleration?

If the line on a position vs. time graph is above the x-axis, it indicates positive acceleration. If the line is below the x-axis, it indicates negative acceleration or deceleration. The steeper the slope of the line, the greater the magnitude of acceleration.

Can you use a position vs. time graph to find the instantaneous acceleration of an object?

Yes, the slope of the tangent line at any point on the position vs. time graph represents the instantaneous acceleration of an object at that specific moment in time. This can be found by using the tangent function or by using calculus to find the derivative of the position function.