Finding an expression for the maximum tension?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum tension T that will not cause a block of mass m2 to slide on a toy cart of mass m1, which is being pulled by a string under tension T. The coefficient of static friction between the cart and block is μ, and the cart is rolled up an angle θ above the horizontal. The variables given are m1, m2, T, μ, and θ, and the goal is to find a formula for T.
JadeLove
A toy cart of mass m1 moves on frictionless wheels as it is pulled by a string under tension T. A block of mass m2 rests on top of that cart. The coefficient of static friction between the cart and block is μ. Find an expression for the maximum tension T that will not cause the block to slide on the cart if the cart is rolled up of angle Ɵ above the horizontal. The string is parallel to the surface on which the cart rolls.

The reason I'm so confused is because I've been given a problem to solve without ANY variables, where do I even start?

I drew a free-body diagram but it doesn't really help... And theoretically, what is my answer supposed to even turn out to be, T = 0? T =1? I mean is the question asking me to work out a process where I get one of those answers :S Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Variables that you've been given: m1, m2, T, μ, θ. You can assume that g is there, too; It's generally assumed.

It is fine to provide an answer that is a formula; there need not be a particular numerical answer.

Related to Finding an expression for the maximum tension?

1. What is the definition of maximum tension?

The maximum tension is the highest amount of force that can be applied to an object without causing it to break or deform.

2. How is the maximum tension calculated?

The maximum tension can be calculated using the formula T = μF, where T is the maximum tension, μ is the coefficient of friction, and F is the normal force acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the maximum tension of an object?

The maximum tension of an object can be affected by its material properties, such as elasticity and strength, as well as external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. Can the maximum tension ever be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum tension can be exceeded if the force applied to the object is greater than its strength or if it is exposed to extreme conditions such as high temperatures or corrosive environments.

5. How is the concept of maximum tension used in practical applications?

The concept of maximum tension is important in engineering and design, as it helps determine the maximum load that can be safely applied to a structure or material. It is also used in safety testing and quality control to ensure that products can withstand expected levels of tension without failure.