Finding an expression for the total mass of a star

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the total mass of a star in a simple model. The solution involves using the equations for mass continuity and density to integrate from the center to the stellar radius. The resulting expression shows that the mass is proportional to the central density and the cube of the stellar radius. However, there is a hidden assumption that the central density is independent from the radius.
Physics Dad
I have made an attempt at the question below and just wanted to check if my thinking was correct or totally wrong.

Thank you in advance!

1. Homework Statement

In a simple model of a star, the density is described as ρ=ρ0(1-r/R), where R is the stellar radius, and ρ0 is the central density.

Find an expression for the total mass of the star M in terms of ρ0 and R.

Homework Equations

Mass Continuity
dM/dr=4πr2ρ(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I know that the density of the star will scale with the radius, as will the mass, so I know I will need to integrate with respect to r from r=0 to r=R (from the centre of the star to the stellar radius).

If I place the equation for ρ0 into the equation for mass continuity...

dM/dr=4πr2ρ0(1-r/R)

and then tidy up a little...

dM=4πρ0(r2-r3/R) dr

then integrate from 0 to R...

M=4πρ0(R3/3-R4/4R)

then tidy up to give...

M=(π/3)ρ0R3

And as π/3 is constant, I can say that...

M∝ρ0R3

This seems a little too simplistic, so would really appreciate some feedback.

Thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a background in astrophysics. But from what is given, your answer is correct.

Nonetheless, your solution have a hidden assumption. Which is that ##\rho_{o}## is independent from ##R##.
In other words, your assumption is that the central density ##\rho_{o}## for all stars being modeled is the same, and so the stars central density independent from their radius ##R##

1. What is the formula for finding the total mass of a star?

The formula for finding the total mass of a star is M = (4π/3) x ρ x R^3, where M is the mass of the star, ρ is the density of the star, and R is the radius of the star.

2. How is the mass of a star determined?

The mass of a star can be determined by measuring its density and radius, and then using the formula M = (4π/3) x ρ x R^3. This can be done through various methods such as spectroscopy, astrometry, and stellar evolution models.

3. Can the mass of a star change over time?

Yes, the mass of a star can change over time due to various factors such as nuclear fusion, mass loss through stellar winds, and interactions with other stars in a binary system.

4. Is the mass of a star the same as its weight?

No, the mass of a star is a measure of the amount of matter it contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that mass. The weight of a star can vary depending on its location in the universe.

5. How do scientists use the total mass of a star in their research?

The total mass of a star is an important parameter in studying its evolution, formation, and behavior. It is also used in determining the dynamics of star clusters and galaxies, and can provide insights into the overall structure and composition of the universe.