Finding an Operator (from a textbook)

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation, but made a mistake. They found the solution by solving each term separately and verifying that the result was correct.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

Because I wanted to practice more of operators, I borrowed a textbook from a library for extra problems...I managed to solve (a) to (e), but not the last question...which is:

Write out the operator A2 for A: (f) d2/dx2 - 2xd/dx + 1 for which I keep getting a different solution from the back of the book...which is A2 = d
4/dx4 - 4xd3/dx3 + (4x2-2)d2/dx2 + 1

Homework Equations

(given above)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was:

Af(x) = d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)
A2f(x) = d2/dx2{d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)} - 2xd/dx{d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)} + {d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)}
= d4f(x)/dx4 - d2/dx2{2xdf(x)/dx} + d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xd3f(x)/dx3 + 4x2d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)

...for d2/dx2(2xdf(x)/dx)...since d2(2x)/dx2 = 0 and d2(df(x)/dx)/dx2 = d3f(x)/dx3

= d4f(x)/dx4 - 4xd3f(x)/dx3 + (4x2 + 2)d2f(x)/dx2 - 4xdf(x)/dx + f(x)...which is same with the solution ONLY in the first, second and last ones...I still have no idea where I made mistake!

Physics news on Phys.org
terp.asessed said:
...for d2/dx2(2xdf(x)/dx)...since d2(2x)/dx2 = 0 and d2(df(x)/dx)/dx2 = d3f(x)/dx3

Note that for ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(x g'(x))##, you will also have terms proportional to ##g''##. These arise when one of the differential operators act on ##x## and the other on ##g'(x)##. Thus, in general,
$$
\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\left[x g'(x)\right] \neq x g'''(x).
$$

Hello, so...
d2/dx2(xg'(x)) = g'(x)d2(x)/dx2 + x d2g'(x)/dx2
=g'(x) d2x/dx2 + x d3x/dx3 ? Is this the right one?

...but doesn't d2(x)/dx2 still result in 0 value?

No, I suggest you use one of the differential operators at a time and see what you get instead of guessing.

Orodruin said:
one of the differential operators at a time and see what you get instead of guessing.

So, by "differential operator" do you mean trying to solve each part of A2 separately?

Just for quick clarification, isn't d/dx {f(x)g(x)} = g(x)df(x)/dx + f(x)dg(x)/dx...doesn't this arrangement apply to d2/dx2 too? Or, do I have to differentiate twice for each f(x) and g(x), in the similar case too, as in d2/dx2 {f(x)g(x)}? I am sorry if I am asking too much but I am trying to re-organize my brain.

I mean that you use the fact that d^2/dx^2 = (d/dx)(d/dx) and apply them one at a time. You will find that the relation you quote is not true for second derivatives.

Likes terp.asessed
Okay, thanks! I will try solving d/dx(d/dx) one at a time!

I got the solution---thank you!

Last edited:
## A = \frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1 ## so A^2 is A acting on itself. I don't think you need to include f(x) yet. However, leaving it out means you need to think of (1) as the identity.
##A^2=(\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1)(\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1)##
##A^2=\frac {d^2}{dx^2}\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - \frac {d^2}{dx^2}2x \frac{d}{dx} + \frac {d^2}{dx^2}(1)\\
- 2x \frac{d}{dx}\frac {d^2}{dx^2} +2x \frac{d}{dx}2x \frac{d}{dx} - 2x \frac{d}{dx}(1)\\
+\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1##
##A^2=\frac {d^4}{dx^4} - \frac {d^2}{dx^2}2x \frac{d}{dx}+ \frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac {d^3}{dx^3} +2x \frac{d}{dx}2x \frac{d}{dx} - 2x \frac{d}{dx}+\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1##
It seems like the most likely location for an error would be in the ##\frac {d^2}{dx^2}2x \frac{d}{dx}## and ## 2x \frac{d}{dx}2x \frac{d}{dx}## terms.
It looks like your expansion above is right for ##\frac{d}{dx}2x\frac{d}{dx}=2\frac{d}{dx}+2x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}## and the derivative of that you have above looks right as well.
The ##-4x\frac{d}{dx}## term looks like you forgot to expand out the ##+2x\frac{d}{dx}2x\frac{d}{dx} ## term fully to produce a ##+4x\frac{d}{dx}## to cancel out the ##-4x\frac{d}{dx}##.

Likes terp.asessed

Related to Finding an Operator (from a textbook)

1. What is an operator in the context of a textbook?

An operator in the context of a textbook is a mathematical symbol or function that performs a specific operation on one or more inputs. It is used to manipulate and transform data in equations and expressions.

2. How do I find an operator in a textbook?

To find an operator in a textbook, you can look for specific symbols or keywords such as "add", "subtract", "multiply", or "divide". You can also look for mathematical notation, such as +, -, *, or /, to identify an operator.

3. Can an operator have more than one meaning in a textbook?

Yes, an operator can have multiple meanings in a textbook depending on the context in which it is used. For example, the symbol "*" can represent multiplication, but it can also be used to denote exponentiation or to indicate a wildcard in computer programming.

4. How do I know which operator to use in a problem from a textbook?

To determine which operator to use in a problem from a textbook, you should carefully read the instructions and identify the desired outcome or operation. You should also consider the type of data being used and the mathematical rules that apply to that data, such as the order of operations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using operators from a textbook?

One common mistake when using operators from a textbook is forgetting to follow the correct order of operations. Another mistake is misinterpreting the meaning of an operator, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully read and understand the instructions and notation in a textbook to avoid these errors.