Finding an Orthornomal Polarization?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an orthogonal polarization to [3i, 2] by using the equation AA^{\cdot }\; +\; BB^{\cdot }\; =\; 0. However, this yields one equation and two unknowns, making it difficult to find a solution. The concept of representing [3i, 2] as circularly polarized light is also mentioned. The solution to finding an orthogonal polarization involves finding all values of A' and B' that satisfy the condition of an inner product of zero, with infinite solutions depending on a free variable. The distinction between mathematical and physical representations is also addressed.
Noone1982
Say I have a polarization [3i, 2], How do I find a polarization that is orthogonal?

I know that,

[tex]AA^{\cdot }\; +\; BB^{\cdot }\; =\; 0[/tex]

But my problem is that it yields one equation and two unknowns which I can't solve for. Furthermore, I am a bit confused on the representation of [3i,2] I understand [1,(+/-)i] is circularly polarized light but what about when the i is atop?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you know that something is orthogonal when its inner product is zero. Find all A' and B' such that this the condition is satisfied. Even though you have one equation and two unknowns, that just indicates that there are infinite solutions depending on a free variable.

You are confused on the mathematical representation or the physical representation?

To find an orthogonal polarization, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves finding a vector that is orthogonal to your given polarization [3i, 2] and then normalizing it to make it an orthonormal vector.

To find this orthogonal vector, you can start by choosing any arbitrary vector that is not parallel to [3i, 2]. This can be [2, -3i] for example. Then, you can use the formula

v' = v - (v · u)u

where v is your given polarization and u is the arbitrary vector you chose. This formula will give you an orthogonal vector v' to your given polarization.

In this case, your orthogonal polarization would be [2, -3i]. To normalize it, you can divide each component by its magnitude, which would be sqrt(13) in this case. So your final orthonormal polarization would be [2/sqrt(13), -3i/sqrt(13)].

As for the representation of [3i, 2], it is a vector with a complex component. This represents a linearly polarized light with a phase difference of pi/2 between the electric and magnetic field components. The i on top indicates the direction of rotation of the electric field.

Related to Finding an Orthornomal Polarization?

1. What is an orthornormal polarization?

An orthornormal polarization is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a specific orientation and is composed of two perpendicular components, with equal amplitudes and a phase difference of 90 degrees. This type of polarization is often used in optics and communication systems.

2. How is an orthornormal polarization different from other types of polarization?

Unlike other types of polarization, such as linear or circular polarization, an orthornormal polarization has two perpendicular components that are equal in amplitude and have a phase difference of 90 degrees. This results in a unique orientation and behavior of the electromagnetic wave.

3. What is the importance of finding an orthornormal polarization?

Finding an orthornormal polarization is important because it allows for the efficient transmission and manipulation of electromagnetic waves in various applications, such as optical communications, radar systems, and imaging techniques. It also helps in reducing interference and improving signal quality.

4. How is an orthornormal polarization determined?

An orthornormal polarization can be determined by using a polarizer, which is a device that can filter out specific orientations of polarized light. By rotating the polarizer and analyzing the intensity of the transmitted light, the orientation of the orthornormal polarization can be determined.

5. What are some practical applications of using an orthornormal polarization?

An orthornormal polarization has many practical applications, including in optical communication systems, where it allows for the efficient transmission of data signals. It is also used in remote sensing techniques, such as radar and sonar, for accurate detection and imaging. Additionally, it is used in spectroscopy and microscopy for analyzing and visualizing samples with different polarized light angles.